pressure treated wood

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by chickencutie, Jan 7, 2011.

1. chickencutie

chickencutie Out Of The Brooder

Jul 22, 2010
    Nazareth
    we're deciding what we're doing for the spring to expand the coop. we have an old playset that would be perfect to turn into a bigger coop. but is it ok to use pressure treated wood? or will the chemicals be harmful to the chickens?

2. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Not in any empirical sense. Roundabout theoretical arguments can be constructed, along the lines of "well some of the arsenic etc may leach into the soil and be taken up by plants chickens eat, or by microorganisms eaten by bigger organisms eaten eventually by things chickens eat, and the resulting infinitesimal dose might concievably have some effect on the chickens". But I know of absolutely zero evidence that this actually occurs to any degree that matters in real life (and the math is pretty much against it happening meaningfully at all), despite LOTS AND LOTS of people having p/t run wood or even p/t coops.

Remember that chickens do not chew intact wood, the way some creatures do (dogs, parrots, rabbits, horses).

It is probably best to avoid having a p/t *roost*, because some people have seen chickens feet get red and inflamed-looking from prolonged use of a p/t roost. But, that is totally different than "is it ok to convert a swingset into a coop" [​IMG]

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

3. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    Hi, we always build things with PT wood just for the ground contact stuff. I've heard that the fumes are unhealthy in a big way.

4. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Fumes from p/t are not a problem in a chicken coop (if they are you have much bigger problems from underventilation!) and especially not for old weathered wood.

Pat

5. midget_farms

midget_farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2008
    Dunlap Illinois
    all new PT wood is treated with copper. Less copper than can be found in the average penny mind you. Its a very low level, but bugs hate the taste & leave it alone.

Old PT wood was treated with arsnic - you know, this is the same medacine used in your dogs heart worm preventative you give them every month. The levels are so low as to be a non issue

** however ** strict rules state that you can't call your eggs organic if you use PT wood.

I'm sure lots of people still claim to have organic eggs & have PT posts on their run or floors on the coop. I however tell people my eggs are not strictly organic & explain why so there is no question.

The wood itself is completely harmless to your chickens though -

6. al6517

al6517 Real Men can Cook

May 13, 2008
    Very safe no need to over worry.

AL

7. darkmatter

darkmatter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2009
    See my BYC page for pics of Coop. Although I built a brick foundation, I did used pressure treated lumber for the sil base over 15 years ago. Been holding up well.

8. chickencutie

chickencutie Out Of The Brooder

Jul 22, 2010
    Nazareth
    ok thank you everybody. since it seems everyone agrees it won't harm them i guess we'll be costructing a very big coop. [​IMG] yay more chickens!!! [​IMG]

9. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    this is the same medacine used in your dogs heart worm preventative you give them every month.

Arsenic is only used to treat dogs that ALREADY have heartworms.

The active ingredient in preventive medicines is Ivomec​

10. A.T. Hagan

A.T. Hagan Don't Panic

Aug 13, 2007
    North/Central Florida
    Treated wood is very nearly all that I use.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by