pressure treated woos for coop?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Baxter's Chickens, Apr 8, 2011.

1. Baxter's Chickens

Baxter's Chickens In the Brooder

Apr 8, 2011
    Hi I am a newbie to this site. We have four 3week old chicks! So cute and fun. Our dog seems to like them too!
    So I do have a question; We are in the process of building the coop and run. Can we use pressure treated wood for part of the coop, run.
    Like for the posts? Will the chickens try to eat the wood?
    Thanks for your help Great site!![​IMG]

2. NormansGal44

NormansGal44 In the Brooder

Mar 30, 2011
    We are going to use pressure treated wherever the wood is in contact with the ground. I'm going to paint the non-pressure treated that I'll use up higher. I found that Lowe's online pricing for 2"x4"x8's is 1.97 vs 2 something in store (at least in SE TN). I may do it all pressure treated. We get so much rain here (55" average) that I can't use anything else near the ground.

I doubt they'll peck the wood unless they are really bored. There may be some chemical leach concerns but I don't think they would be that major.

I really want to put a rotted log in the middle of the coop for them to peck at.

Good luck!

3. Noymira

Noymira Songster

Mar 9, 2011
    Chittenden County, VT
    I'm using pressure treated, painted recycled wood for my run. I think it will last longer and it was free!

4. msudawgs56

msudawgs56 In the Brooder

Mar 26, 2011
    Grenada, Mississippi
    I'm using all Pressure treated lumber for mine.

5. elmo

elmo Songster

May 23, 2009
    DFW
    Chickens don't chew on wood the way parrots do, so it's fine to use pressure treated wood. I wouldn't use bare pressure treated wood for a perch, though, because so much contact with the chemicals in the wood could be an irritant to the surface of their feet.

The sawdust from cutting pressure treated wood is another matter. Chickens might easily peck at and ingest that, so either cut the wood someplace else or clean up around the coop site well.

6. Baxter's Chickens

Baxter's Chickens In the Brooder

Apr 8, 2011
    Thanks so much for the feed back! Posts go in today!
    I will be ready for the little ones to go outside, I think they will be too.

OK, so here is something kind of crazy, we are going on vacation for a week and we will be taking the chickens with us!!
    No kidding, they are too little to be outside. They are 4 weeks old today. The car ride is about 2&1/2 hours. I think they will be fine they look very strong and healthy.
    But I am very nervous! So on vacation it will be my husband and I our dog and chickens! Our friend call us the Beverly Hillbillies!!
    Any input on how to make this a bit easier would be welcome. Thanks!:j

7. NormansGal44

NormansGal44 In the Brooder

Mar 30, 2011
    That's too funny! Having chicks (and the high pollen count) is preventing us from camping this spring and we tried to communicate that to our 3.5 year old son. His reply "They can come with us!" Yeah right, two dogs, two toddlers, four chicks and us. Ummmm [​IMG]

My parents were just given chickens who had a special coop in their vacation home for their chickens. It was probably a good 2.5-3 hour trip each way and they apparently did just fine. I'd suggest a lot of pine shavings or something to cover up the odor of their poo for a more pleasant ride. Do you have a bird or cat carrier? It'd be enclosed then. I also wonder about them being in a smaller box/container so they wouldn't slide around as much? I can't wait to hear how it goes! [​IMG]

8. Agent1611

Agent1611 In the Brooder

Apr 1, 2011
    That is good to know; I was wondering about using pressure treated wood. I was planning on using it just for the floor, but was probably going to use linoleum or paint over it. Anything I should know about which paint to use/not use?

9. A.T. Hagan

A.T. Hagan Don't Panic

Aug 13, 2007
    North/Central Florida
    I use pressure treated for everything. Including perches. Never had a problem with it.

10. Judy

Judy Crowing Premium Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Quote:The best way to paint PT wood is next year, with paint manufactured for the job (available at Lowe's or Home Depot, I forget which, or both.) Seriously. It needs to dry thoroughly before painting or it will bubble and slide off. In general, for the parts of the coop that won't contact the soil, best is regular old wood/plywood/OSB, painted on the outside -- and inside if you wish.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by