Presumed Dead Chick ALIVE! Plz Help!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by PruittFarm, Mar 17, 2017.

1. PruittFarm

PruittFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2017
    Burgaw N.C
    My first time hatching eggs and of course my incubator broke.. so my friend was continuing to hatch my eggs for me. While we were waiting for them to hatch she decided to leave them in a little longer to make sure all of the eggs would hav time to hatch 5 days prior to her leaving them in a little longer we had one egg crack like a check was trying to break out we kept an eye on it but there was no progress made and there were no sounds or anything coming from the egg so she presumed it was dead. 6 days later we're cleaning out the incubator and we pick up the egg that have the crack in it to toss it out and it's makes a peep! I have never helped a chick check out of its shell..i decided to slowly start peeling parts of the shell off and then slowly peeling parts of the membrane back on the inside of the shell.. there are several send spiders like veins still with quite a bit of blood and i was in fear i could be hurtting the chick.. I kept going slowly peeling everything off of him so finally he had one big wiggle and fell out into my friend's hands he was fully developed but had a stringy like cord thing around his neck that we couldn't find attached to anything but itself I gently clipped this off with a pair of sterile grooming scissors ( I was a groomer and him worked in vets offices before as kennel Tech) and we put him back in the incubator to warm up. Is there anything else I should do or should I not have helped at all I would just like to know what I need to do the next time if this were to happen again?

2. eggbert420

eggbert420 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2017
    Texas
    Sounds like the incubatorTemperature was too low. Check your thermometer.

3. PruittFarm

PruittFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2017
    Burgaw N.C
    Ok. He was the only one out of 22 to have a problem #23 and #24 didnt hatch

4. eggbert420

Feb 15, 2017
    Texas
    Probably not the temperature if 21 hatched. He might of just been slow or he had somthing wrong. Luckily for him you saved him.good job

5. wwest

wwest New Egg

Feb 10, 2017
    I have heard if you start to see blood when you are helping a chick hatch stop immediately or it can kill the chick from bleeding to death. I have helped some chicks and they have made a wonderful recovery. I have also helped some that didn't make it. Some say when you help a chick it most likely wont make it because if they couldn't get out themselves something is probably wrong. On the other side there are some circumstances that a chick would be fine but a circumstance prevented them from not hatching on their own (such as shrink wrapping).Hopefully this type of Incidence doesn't happen again. You need to make sure you have a stable incubator and a good thermometer/hydrometer. If you know those things are correct its a lot easier to have a good hatch. I hope this helps!

6. wwest

wwest New Egg

Feb 10, 2017
    I forgot to mention that each hatch is different and each egg is different. You cant really compare one egg to another. Part of helping an egg Is a gut feeling. As long as you really give it a proper amount of time to hatch on its own, otherwise you could hurt a healthy chick from trying to help too soon! They spend a good deal of time absorbing the yolk while hatching (this is why it can take over 24 hours for some eggs to make its first pip to fully zipping and hatching). just because it is taking a while doesn't necessarily mean something is happening. As afr as your egg, I would have helped immediately knowing it had pipped 5-6 days prior. You could have had an issue with shrink wrapping? If this is the case, humidity needs to stay up and you shouldn't open the incubator while eggs are pipped.

7. eggbert420

Feb 15, 2017
    Texas
    x2

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by