Prettiest and best smelling flowers, what do you think?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Campine Lover, May 29, 2010.

1. Campine Lover

Campine Lover Songster

Mar 7, 2010
    Moss Beach, CA
    I'm going to plant a garden this summer. I want pretty, frangrant flowers that are not very hard to grow. What are your fav flowers? Tell me why, and maybe some pics? Prettiest? Best smelling? Not expensive? Thanks!

2. My Mems has dozens and dozens of rose bushes, but the absolute most yummiest one is the one with the smallest little white roses. Ahhh wonderful.

I've also heard good things about jasmine too... honey suckle (makes me sneeze but others love it) and lagustrum (spelling?) are all very prolific.

If it can survive in my yard you KNOW it's hardy.

3. PANSEY's! Each color has a different scent and its all pretty:)

4. chicken_china_mom

chicken_china_mom Crazy for Cochins

Apr 24, 2009
    Tab, Indiana
    Peonies smell lovely too, only thing I don't like about them is that when it rains, it pushes the plants down flat. But they smell oh so good...I even have a peony perfume!

5. DuckLady

DuckLady ~~~Administrator~~~BYC Store Support Staff Member

Jan 11, 2007
    NE Washington State
    Stock. It is VERY sniffy.

6. TwistedSerpent

TwistedSerpent Songster

Apr 28, 2010
    Lilacs of course but its more of a shubbery, I personally love the smell of gardenia too.

7. wolftracks

wolftracks Spam Hunter

Nov 6, 2009
    Modesto
    Roses are a must. Need to be hierlom to really smell like a rose though.
    Jasmine, gardenia,carnations,and lots of types of lilies.

Only been in this house since march, so slow going on gardening, but these are in the ground for now.

Oh and if you have a place where they can't take over everything else, morning glories and moon flowers.
    I need to get my lilacs and lavender bought and planted too.

8. piecemaker

piecemaker Songster

Feb 12, 2008
    Centerville Texas
    We have a neighbor that has what Mother calls a Cape Cod guardian it makes a very large bush and you can smell it from a long ways away. Also antique roses they smell like your grandma's roses. Plus they are a lot easier to grow then the new hybrid roses.
    Where are you at? That will make a differents what you can grow. Also how much sun/shade do you get? Just a thought
    Piecemaker

9. Oven Ready

Oven Ready Songster

May 9, 2010
    Thailand
    For some height and a wonderful fragrance you could try the Indian Cork Tree - it's a real tree but grows real fast here.
    I guess it depends where you live whether the temperature will suit it.

Here's a link http://www.leestropicals.com/mihoincotr.html and I have nothing to do with this company (but the Wikipedia article is very poor)

10. WoodlandWoman

WoodlandWoman Crowing

May 8, 2007
    Wisconsin
    I love the smell of alyssum, too. I think it's usually called sweet alyssum. It's an inexpensive annual that you can grow from seed or buy plants. It comes in white, rose, lavender or purple. Since it's very short and spreads a bit, I like to place it at the front edge of the flower beds. I also put it in pots of mixed flowers and let it spill over the side.

Heliotrope smells fantastic, too! Like vanilla. It's a small annual with purple flowers. Some types of verbena have a wonderful scent, too. Verbena is a little like roses, in that some have a great scent and some only look good. Sweet peas smell good, too. Clove pinks. I like the smell of butterfly bush, too, if you have space for a shrub.

Lots of different herbs smell nice, too. I usually have them tucked in with my flowers. I especially love lemon verbena, variegated lemon thyme, basils, pineapple sage and different types of mints. The mints spread like crazy though, so I often have them in pots. There are lots of other types of herbs, too. With herbs, you gently brush your hands up under the leaves, to release the scent. Kind of like petting them, from the bottom up, in a sweeping motion. I think the wonderful scents in a garden are a real treat. When I am weeding, they are one of my rewards, as I move to different areas in the garden. I space them like that. [​IMG]

For pretty, everyone has their favorites. I like to have pansies and cosmos, especially the pink ones, in the garden. The pink ones have such delicate, beautiful foliage. I like all flowers!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by