Prettiest Rooster Crow?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Alaskan, Sep 17, 2008.

1. Alaskan

Alaskan The Frosted Flake

Title says it all....

Anyone have an opinion on which breed has the prettiest rooster crow?

And I don't mean long, I mean nice sounding.

2. cjeanean

cjeanean Can't Decide

Mar 5, 2008
    Missouri
    I've only heard two breeds, a BR and a mottled houdan. I like the BR cause his is a little less high pitched and manly, but the MH is very classic rooster-y. In about 2 months I'll have about 6 other breeds maturing, I can let u know then!

3. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    My wife HATED our Delaware before he was relocated.

I didn't mind him, he just didn't slow down.... All day, 3AM....7PM he just loved the sound of his voice.

4. fowltemptress

fowltemptress Frugal Fan Club President

Jan 20, 2008
    Not only is my Japanese Bantam the sweetest rooster I've had, he has the nicest crow . . . It's not whiny or piercing; it sounds more like a muffled big boy crow. I prefer a nice, throaty crow made by a large manly breed, but for neighbors until we can be back out in the country, I couldn't have asked for a better crowing bird.

5. LilPeeps

LilPeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2007
    SE Mass
    I loved the crow of my standard dominique boy. [​IMG]

6. pokey

pokey Warrior Princess

Jun 1, 2008
    upstate
    well, i like to hear the young roos learn to crow because they sound so awful its funny, but i guess my favorite is the new hampshire....just lets it out like he is truly proud!

7. dixiechick

dixiechick Chillin' With My Peeps

I am partial to my cochin bantam's crow...he's not as loud, very polite sounding....kinda muffled and sweet... [​IMG]

(can you tell I love this bird!! Who doesn't love an Elvis?)

8. Omniskies

Omniskies Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2008
    Missouri
    The best rooster crow ever was from a Light Brahma. It had two syllables and wasn't scratchy at all - it sounded like a far away wolf howl.

I had two Brahma roosters at the time and had to get rid of one. I got rid of the bully, since he was more high strung and I had a soft spot for his picked on brother. The one I got rid of was the one with the lovely crow. Now I want to get a bunch more Brahma roosters to see if I can find another one who crows like that. That sound is probably the only thing that could get me to settle on one breed - rooster bragging night and day can drive me up a wall sometimes.

9. The Chicken Lady

The Chicken Lady Moderator Staff Member

Apr 21, 2008
    West Michigan
    Which ones come closest to the traditional "cock-a-doodle-doo," in your experience?

10. apbgv

apbgv Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2007
    Iowa
    My serama boys have the typical crow, sounds real funny when they crow at the same time. crowing in stereo, the smallest of the 3 though has the funniest its kind of squeaky and at the end it sounds like a sick cat meow.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by