1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Pretty and Small

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by flyingdragon, Jan 21, 2010.

1. flyingdragon

flyingdragon Out Of The Brooder

Nov 22, 2009
    I'm thinking about turkeys. I want a small but attractive type. Is such a variety available? Don't want white obviously. Are there particularly broody breeds? It was suggested they could surrogate guineas. Thanks.

2. Frosty

Frosty Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2008
    ND
    Out of curiosity, why don't you want white? Any of the heritage types can go broody (actually, the broad breasted hens will, too but often break the eggs). You can go to feathersite.com or porterturkeys.com and see pictures and weights of the various types.

3. sandspoultry

sandspoultry Everybody loves a Turkey

Feb 10, 2008
    Eastern NC
    The smallest turkey is the Midget White and the Beltsville small white. most of the colorful ones are mid sized. Porters turkeys are very colorful but they don't breed true, just because you order poults of a color doesn't mean that is what they will grow out to be.

Sharon

4. flyingdragon

Nov 22, 2009
    I just dont like looking at dirty birds. And if they are white and outside they are going to get dirty. Narragansetts are beautiful! Will turkeys bother my vegetable garden. My guineas don't seem to care but I'm going to have to fence my chickens out. Thanks.

5. chseeads

chseeads Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2009
    Bloomington, Indiana
    Turkeys will eat anything in your garden that they consider delicious looking, yes. lol

6. sandspoultry

sandspoultry Everybody loves a Turkey

Feb 10, 2008
    Eastern NC
    Turkeys love greens - collards, lettus, cabbage etc etc. If they can get into the garden then yes they will eat and taste everything!

7. Frosty

Frosty Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2008
    ND
    Mine were mostly interested in tasting the potato beetles and grasshoppers. And they liked to gather behind me when I was weeding and talk to each other (probably talking about me)...

8. houndit

houndit There is no H or F in Orpington!

Jul 13, 2008
    Braymer Missouri
    Probably if you want small and colorful you would want a Royal Palm. They have a lot of white though.

9. flyingdragon

Nov 22, 2009
    OK. Fantasy turkey - Occellated!!!! OMG!!! What I wouldn't give for a pair of those and a pair of vulturine guineas!!! Back to reality.... Love those royal palms! Not too big, and striking to boot! Are they good rangers and parents? I live in central NC. Is blackhead (?) a problem here. I have guineas and chickens. Any special precautions needed?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by