1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Pretty CRAZY shipped egg story...

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by MamaMarcy, Jan 30, 2012.

1. MamaMarcy

MamaMarcy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2011
    Snohomish, WA
    So, I ordered Naked Neck eggs from someone on here. Then things got CRAZY. (I have to add the seller did an awesome job of packing & shipping...so none of this is at all their fault)

They shipped the eggs, which rrived I think on a Friday (right on schedule). I was asleep at home because I work graveyards. The mail lady knocked, but since I was in bed and for me it was the equivalent of 3am, I didn't answer the door, knowing she always leaves packages on the porch.

When I woke up for the night, the porch was bare and snow was blanketing the yard. (I'm in WA State and this was during our big snow storms recently). In my mailbox was a notice thaat the eggs would be available like 5 days LATER (holiday & weekend) at the USPS not close to us. Great.

Well, 5 days later we have over 18" of snow and no way to get out. Once the snow cleared, we got the 2nd and "final" notice saying this time that the package required a SIGNATURE (I verified with the seller thaat they did NOT send it for signature). So I put the slip in the mailbox for redelivery. The next day the eggs arrived and I was here to receive them. The box was covered in egg yolk and stunk. It was stamped "arrived damaged" by the receiving post office. Okay. I took it inside and opened it to find all but 7 eggs smashed to high heavens with rotten egg covering the remaining 7 eggs. GROSS. I saved the 7 intact eggs, washed them, and sprayed them with a light bleach mixture I keep in the kitchen. Did I mention the eggs were now about 16 days old?

So, I decided to give them the tiniest of chances. I put them in the bator, not expecting anythign really.

I candled today and 2 have what look like nice strong embryos! One is possibly an embryo, and one looks like an embryo grew but is now more blood-ringish looking, and 3 candled clear.

I am absolutely shocked that after getting old, sitting at the PO in rotten egg "soup," being washed and soaked with bleach, they are doing anything. [​IMG] I'm h oping the 2 strong ones make it to hatch. I'm glad I decided to give it a try!

2. melodym78

melodym78 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 6, 2011
    Indiana
    You will have to keep us all updated...sounds like something that would happen to me!

3. MamaMarcy

MamaMarcy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2011
    Snohomish, WA
    My other 2 NN's died when the heat lamp died...

4. Thats too bad! i hope everything else goes better

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by