Pretty little cage for an indoor quail... ideas? Pics?

Discussion in 'Quail' started by iamcuriositycat, Aug 3, 2010.

1. iamcuriositycat

iamcuriositycat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2009
    Charlotte, NC
    So we have this poor little lonely quail that hatched alone (long story), and who is now afraid of everyone including other quail. But we've noticed that he likes to sing all day long, and his song is SO pretty. So I'm thinking of keeping him indoors as a pet (even though he's afraid of us) and conversation starter, and for his music. But I want him to look pretty in here, so I'm brainstorming CHEAP but pretty ways to contain him.

Here are some things I've thought of, but I want more ideas:

* Decorative bird cage (cheap on craigslist)
    * Fish tank (not really all that pretty, but not ugly either, and we have one on hand)
    * Some piece of furniture converted for the purpose... ?? Ideas ??
    * What else?

I also want it to be easy to clean... I know coturnix aren't usually kept indoors, but I figure if it's just one (or two, if this one ever learns to like other birds), it won't be any stinkier than other types of pet birds, and we'll just clean the cage often.

Thanks for any tips!

2. TaLani

TaLani ~ Gemini Chick ~

Oct 2, 2008
    Bryson City, NC
    All I can think of quickly is a hampster cage that you could get cheap from Craigslist or maybe Freecycle.

3. iamcuriositycat

iamcuriositycat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2009
    Charlotte, NC
    Thank you! I have a couple small animal cages like that, but they're not very pretty, lol! Maybe something on craigslist would be prettier... not just bird cages. Thank you!

4. Denninmi

Denninmi Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2009
    Any potential you could find some kind of a smallish cabinet really cheap or free that you could convert into a cage. I picked a two door cabinet on legs out of someone's trash a couple of months ago that is about 3 feet tall x 3 feet long x 2 feet wide, probably on 18" legs with 2 doors. If the doors were cut out to just frames so bars or wire could be inserted, some kind of tray for the bottom and a light added, it could make quite a pretty animal cage perhaps. Just a thought.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by