Pretty soon!

theOEGBman

Songster
13 Years
Jan 13, 2007
Central California
Well,

My "secret" broody got off the nest to eat today. This is the first time since I've found her, and I had to get over there and see what she was hiding. To my suprise, she's on 12 eggs! She's so tiny, I was amazed! 7 are hers, and 5 belong to my old EE. Im getting rid of the EE on Saturday, so these should keep her legacy going.
lol.png

Anyways, one had a minor crack on it, and I noticed that the membrane is pure white, which has always meant they are getting ready to hatch in my book. They feel light as well, which has always been another sign for me. Either they are ready to hatch, or they are rotten and these eggs dont smell! And Im going to be gone to a chicken show for the next two days, so odds are thats when they hatch. Hopefully they are hatched when I go out there tomorrow morning before leaving, but odds are they wont be! Its been raining like crazy though, so I kinda hope they wait.

Anyways, Im blabbering. Keep your fingers crossed for me if you would! I'll be posting pics as soon as they hatch!

if you don't NEED EEs ... oh I wish I were closer to California, am missing my little fluffy butts like crazy

trying to get parts assembled to build a bator, several of you keep tempting me with your egg offers ...

C

Good luck with them!
I had a brown EE hen that went missing from her pen (she's a flighty one that sleeps in a coop, but flies out of the pen and free-ranges during the day).
Just found her --- broody on 17 of her own blue eggs.
The likely fathers are either one of Jody's black Araucanas (clean-faced and tailed) that free ranges too or the Naked Neck roo that is in the pen she's s'posed to live in.
She picked a great spot --- under the tarp next to the woodpile. I can't believe I never noticed her sneaking back there.

What fun, a 2 day chicken show! Can't wait to see pics. Have fun!

smile.png

Lisa

Kaneke, come get em! I'll wind up loving them, for sure, but just the though of getting possibly 12 more birds after working so hard to downsize kinda stinks,lol.

Thanks, Lisa! I searched the woodpile the day before I found this girl and never saw them, that's what suprised me! And 5 of them are blue eggs, I must have terrible eyes if I cant see blue eyes next to a log,lol. Good luck with your eggs!

Definitely! I didnt plan on going, but my friend offered so I took her up on it. Her son shows, so he has to go up on Friday, and they are staying the night so I am too! It should be fun. I'll take plenty of pics!

driving to central California from middle western Washington state ?? over the Siskiyous ?? in the weather that's forecast to hit us between now and "real spring" ?? in a car that can't handle snow and ice ???

(what was DH thinking ? -- yeah, I know, good gas mileage)

would drive in the Trooper, but its transmission is growling and whining, car dealer says it could disintegrate "at any time, don't go far in it"

sigh

have old cooler
have extra lamp socket
have scraps of hardware cloth
have plenty of wire .. 10 gauge and smaller
have old household "weather station" with temp and humidity
have inop computer I can raid for a fan
have 12V cord (meant to charge a cell phone)
have plenty of nonslip shelf liner
have extra small rectangles of glass
have duct tape
have glue
have box cutter, screwdriver, Makita drill

have Wal Mart (nearest town)
have Dollar stores of various sorts (several within 50 miles)
have Home Depot, Lowes, True Value, and Ace Hardware (ditto)

have Del's Farm & Feed Supply (but they say they won't be handling chicks this year)

have wonderful BYCers constatntly tempting me with beautiful chicks and fascinating eggs ...

Back
Top Bottom