Pretty sure I should be getting some eggs soon

Crys22601

Hatching
6 Years
Feb 22, 2013
She? was a cute little fluffy yellow chick when I got her. Now she looks like this. I was thinking White plymoth rock or white star hybrid. But I am also really wondering if she IS a she. In this pick she has her head stretched just about as far as she can stretch it. Here she stands about 16-18" and only weighs about 1-2 lbs at the most. She and my Cochin were both born at the same time at the end of September but she is maybe half the size of the Cochin roo. Please help me in figuring out exactly what I have and if I will or will not be expecting eggs soon. Thank you.

She would have been hatched between September 25th and 28th. So almost 5 months exactly.

You should be getting some eggs soon! I heard they typically lay between 16 and 26 weeks. Also, because it's winter she might not start until spring.

Until I finish the fence area, she does free range. I guess a hidden nest is possible, but she usually doesn't go too far away and we put her up each night. When we let her our the next day, she doesn't go any particular place right away as though to check on her eggs or anything. I don't know. She did something funky today. She layed down on her side with one leg part the way out and started to go to sleep in the sun. It actually worried me for a sec so I walked over to her and she woke up and jumped up and walked off. She didn't do it again.

Until I finish the fence area, she does free range. I guess a hidden nest is possible, but she usually doesn't go too far away and we put her up each night. When we let her our the next day, she doesn't go any particular place right away as though to check on her eggs or anything. I don't know. She did something funky today. She layed down on her side with one leg part the way out and started to go to sleep in the sun. It actually worried me for a sec so I walked over to her and she woke up and jumped up and walked off. She didn't do it again.

She was just sunbathing. Quite normal for chickens. Sometimes when my birds walk from the shade into a sunny spot they almost can't stop themselves from soaking up a few rays. The first few times this happens can be quite alarming to those not used to it, as the way they fling themselves out seems like there's something wrong with them. And don't worry if she's not laying yet, she'll lay when her body is ready. Hopefully you won't have to wait as long as I have to with my silkies. ..I haven't had one lay before 8 months!

Well all, I know I haven't been on in a while. Nursing school is crazy!. We got our first egg actually only a couple of days after my last post. Her productions has been sporatic probably due to 90's one day and 30's the next (gotta love south Texas weather. We are going to hard boil and dye what we have right now for our Easter morning hunt for the kids. Question, how long will they last in the fridge though? I mean, we have long eaten/used the first ones she has layed. These are the 6 or so most recent ones, most recent being one from last night. I was just wondering. Thanks all.And have a blessed Easter.

Back
Top Bottom