Pretty sure my chickens have Corzya

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by hnt15, Aug 18, 2018.

1. hnt15

hnt15 In the Brooder

Mar 10, 2017
    I posted about a week ago about my chickens being sick...I am most certain they have Corzya I have been treating the whole flock with Tylan50 for just about 5 days some seem to be getting better others not...what I want to know is has anyone successfully treated a flock of 15 (3 roos and 12 hens) or is it best to cull? I do not plan on adding anymore to my flock but not sure what to do next if the Tylan50 is not working....I have no poultry vet near to take them to....any help is appreciated

casportpony likes this.
  2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Crossing the Road

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Can you describe all the symptoms they have, and if they have a bad odor around their faces? MG is another respiratory disease, and it can be hard to tell one disease from another. Here is a good link about common diseases and their symptoms, and I would look at coryza, mycoplasma gallisepticum (MG,) ILT, infectious bronchitis, and compare your symptoms with those listed.
    http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

Sulfa drugs are used to treat symptoms of coryza, but it is never cured. They will always be carriers.

You may want to cull a bird and send the body to your state poultry vet for necropsy, where you could get a diagnosis. If you are dealing with coryza, the only way that you can get rid of it permanently is to cull and bury or burn the carcasses. Then wait a couple of months and get healthy chicks from a hatchery. MG is fairly common in some backyard flocks, and is usually less severe.

3. hnt15

hnt15 In the Brooder

Mar 10, 2017
    A few of my regular sized birds were sneezing, they have did not have discharge but do have a fowl smell. my bantam hen has it the worst with swollen eyes and bubbly looking liquid around eyes. They are all still eating and drinking. I have been treating the whole flock with Tylan50 even though some of the birds have no symptoms. seems the ones that are sick are not laying eggs. I am not eating any of the eggs right now due to treating them.

Attached Files:

casportpony likes this.
  4. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I would contact your state vet or local extension agent about getting some testing, which can help you decide whether to treat them or cull them. Any disease can be complicated by other secondary diseases. Sometimes there may be one or more diseases at the same time. Here is another article about coryza:
    https://www.merckvetmanual.com/poultry/infectious-coryza/overview-of-infectious-coryza-in-chickens

The best testing is to get a PCR test for coryza or MG. Here is a link to finding your state vet or lab for testing:
    http://www.metzerfarms.com/PoultryLabs.cfm

5. anna-newhampshire

anna-newhampshire Chirping

May 26, 2018
    Yes, alternative medicine has a track record of almost 100% of birds cured. Not joking. No need for a massacre. This is for @AnneInTheBurbs and @Skywarita too. I was planning to make a new thread about this anyway, but it involves some heavy lifting on my part - not looking forward to it. I'll make time for this tomorrow.

Lol conventional medicine is not the only rooster that can crow. I almost said conventional medicine is not the only sharp knife in the drawer, but OMG that would've been a terrible pun. I implore you not to kill your birds. Help is on the way. ;)

Skywarita and AnneInTheBurbs like this.
  6. hnt15

hnt15 In the Brooder

Mar 10, 2017
    thank you!!! I really don't want to cull them they are my first flock and I would feel so guilty if I had to put them down because of something I did

PrettyChickens15 likes this.
  7. anna-newhampshire

anna-newhampshire Chirping

May 26, 2018
    Okay I think I know what homeopathic remedy would work but let's go over everything:
    - when did this start, how, why, how was the weather when it started and in the meantime
    - do they smell bad? There is a typo I think because you said they have a 'fowl' smell (fowl = domestic bird). Did you mean foul = unpleasant? The smell makes all the difference when figuring out the remedy.
    - any detail you can think off

Please answer soon.

8. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I would recommend getting some birds tested for coryza or MG. Those diseases are chronic and never cured. They would make them all carriers and the disease would just keep on and on affecting each chicken and sometimes other poutry that live on your property. Wild birds can spread to neighboring areas and flocks.

9. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Crossing the Road

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Where are you located (state/country)?
    Have you looked inside the beak of the one you posted a photo of? Is there a lesion inside the beak?

A foul odor can be indicative of Coryza, but you mention bubbly looking liquid around the eyes as well. Without testing, it would be hard to know what you are dealing with.
    Contacting your state lab to see if they will accept some swabs or sacrificing your sickest bird for testing will give you some answers.

Sadly, if you are dealing with Coryza or MG (or any other respiratory disease) there is no cure. Symptoms can be managed and treated. Some birds can "recover" but they remain carriers and can pass the disease on to other birds. In times of stress (molting, changes in flock dynamics, coming into lay, weather changes, etc.) birds can easily become symptomatic again and may need to be re-treated. Respiratory diseases also impact egg production, they can increase the severity or incidence of other diseases/conditions and in some instances can cause stunted growth in young birds.

upload_2018-8-20_8-30-59.png

10. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Foul smell + facial swelling + bubbly eyes = Coryza + MG.
    Treatment is sulfadimethoxine or sulmet in conjunction with tylan 50 or baytril. Otherwise cull as birds will be carriers for life despite antibiotics, homeopathic remedies, or alternative medicines.
    I'm sorry you're going through this and you have tough decisions to make.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: