Pretty sure of breed need opinion on gender please

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by sammyj, Apr 11, 2012.

1. sammyj

sammyj Out Of The Brooder

Apr 2, 2012
    Think this is an EE about 7 weeks old any ideas on gender?[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

2. RedIII

RedIII Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2011
    Tooele, Utah
    The pale comb kind of throws me, but based on those pointy hackle feathers, I would say boy. Handsome little stud!

3. nurse_turtle

nurse_turtle Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2011
    Foothills of NC
    Not so sure it's an EE. No beard or muffs. It may have some EE in its parentage somewhere. Looks like a barnyard mix. A little early for me to guess gender, but those are some thick legs!

4. sammyj

Apr 2, 2012
    YES! that is why i am stumped as well, comb is very pale, He or she is very sweet likes attention and gets chased around a lot by some of the younger chickens!

5. sammyj

Apr 2, 2012
    When we first got him/her it looked like there were some puffs on the cheeks? the colors are not very bight at all kind of dull buff browny, arghhhh wish i had more patience, guess i will have to wait and see.

6. RedIII

RedIII Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2011
    Tooele, Utah
    I have an EE pullet that is about 5-6 wks old and she has a similar coloration, though with much more gray and less of the tan color. I had another EE pullet until recently who had a bit of a beard when she was a baby, then lost it for a while, and then got it back once she was around 2 mo. old. They're funny like that sometimes.

7. sammyj

Apr 2, 2012
    I would def. think pullet but am also stumped by the hackle feathers like you said in the latter post, i guess we will see! thanks to to all the replies everyone on here is SO helpful i have learned more on BYC in a few weeks about my chicken kids than i have in the last year! i love it!

8. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    I have an EE pullet that looks almost exactly like her, except she has a huge blue beard and muffs. But she has really long hackle feathers like that as well, she looks like she has really long hair. She's pretty skiddish, but I'll see if I can get a decent picture of her...

9. Caitenji

Caitenji Out Of The Brooder

Mar 13, 2012
    Northeast Missouri
    I have a 6 week old EE pullet who is colored almost exactly like this except her hackle feathers & head are black. I would guess pullet.

10. sammyj

Apr 2, 2012
    I am leaning to pullet too, but still not 100% i would love to see pics of your girls !

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by