Pretty sure she is not a chicken but a rooster. What do you guys think?

nicabbott1998

Chirping
Jun 2, 2016

This guy or girl is 4 months old. Got it when it was a few days old. Was told it was a golden sex link chicken. We've never had chickens or roosters so very new at all this. Is it for sure a rooster? Do you care for roosters differently than chickens? Should he be housed with my chickens?

It is a rooster, for sure. If you have no intentions of breeding, then maybe getting rid of him is probably a good idea. Sure, he can be with the girls, but that also depends on how many you have. A rooster can deal with many hens - any lower than 10 can lead to overbreeding which could result in stress and physical harm.

Some members like to keep a rooster for the protection that they give to the flock (which I personally feel is overrated, but everybody's experience is different).

If you are relatively new to keeping chickens, then managing a rooster can be a bit of a headache. You may wish to read up on keeping roosters before you decide what to do with him (type "managing roosters" in the search box and see what pops up).

CT

Roosters and Hens are all Chickens. Male chickens are called cockerels(young) or roosters (mature). Female chickens are called pullets(young) or hens( mature)

Your chicken is a rooster

It is a rooster. I'd keep him until he gets annoying "crowing" or aggressive with either yourself or his hens. See how it goes for you. Like CTKen said roosters are not for everyone. Some people keep them for different reasons "protection, breeding, etc." and some people don't keep roosters at all "noisy, against local regulations, etc."

Back
Top Bottom