Pretty sure she's broody

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by mrbstephens, Jul 9, 2011.

1. mrbstephens

mrbstephens Chillin' With My Peeps

I've had chickens for almost 3 years and this is the first time I've seen any of them exhibit any broody type behavior. She's one of 4 that I've hatched. She's a cross between an EE and a PR. Saw her in the nesting box this afternoon. She had a dazed look in her eye. I went to collect the eggs this evening and she was still in there. I poked at her with my egg basket and she bit it several times and the feathers on the back of her head stood on end. I finally was able to push her out. She ate, like she hadn't eaten in a long while. I stole the eggs and watched her return, looking for the eggs, but she settled for the golf ball that I left in there. She's sitting on it.......for the night. Do I NEED to break her of this? I don't want more chicks, because I just don't have the space. Will she stop on her own if I keep pushing her out of the nesting box?

2. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    Quote:She will stop eventually-4-6 weeks hopefully sooner! Let her keep 1-2 eggs? I know you said you dont want anymore but its either she sit and do what she wants in a 3 weeks period or she stays broody for that long or longer:(

3. mrbstephens

Quote:She will stop eventually-4-6 weeks hopefully sooner! Let her keep 1-2 eggs? I know you said you dont want anymore but its either she sit and do what she wants in a 3 weeks period or she stays broody for that long or longer:(

I don't even have a rooster, so really no point in letting her keep any eggs. Wait, do you mean I let her keep a couple of eggs to sit on even thought they won't hatch and maybe she'll stop being broody sooner, or am I misunderstanding?

4. mrbstephens

Rats. Kinda wish I could let her hatch out some eggs. There's just no more room for more. [​IMG]

5. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    What about just one feedstore chick? Do you have any friends that want chickens, you could let her hatch/mother them, then after she weans them, you can give them to your friend.

I've never broke a broody, but it sounds like it's a lot harder than just giving her 1 chick.

6. mrbstephens

Quote:I"m asking around. It is possible she'll just change her mind, or eat the egg, isn't it? Or someone else from the flock might eat it?

7. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    NO I meant fertile eggs under her:) I have broken a broody but it was more work than I ever want to do again! I just let them go for the duration and deal with the fact I'm not getting any eggs from her for 6 weeks or longer:(

8. mrbstephens

No one wants chicks. [​IMG] What to do, what to do?

9. mrbstephens

What if I just lock her out of the coop? I can let her have the run of the yard. Would that work?

10. mrbstephens

Today, I took her out of the nest box and gave her the yard to herself. Instead of enjoying her freedom and pecking for bugs and eating grass, she spent the ENTIRE day pacing in front of the gate trying to find her way back in. Poor thing! She looked frantic. (sigh) What to do........I can give her ONE egg you say? But the hen house is already crowded. My house is up for sale, and I'm not sure what I'll do with my flock once I sell. We'll be moving in with my mother until our new house is built and bringing them to her house is impossible. If I do get her an egg. It would have to be ONE and the tiniest breed ever.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by