pretty sure they aren't muscovies...

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by v.cyr, Jul 2, 2011.

1. v.cyr

v.cyr Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2010
    Greene, NY
    my GF's uncle bought these "Muscovies" at a local farm auction...

[​IMG]

he is still convinced they are Muscovies, on the grounds that (and I quote) "they ain't quackin"... I was thinking that they might be Magpies, because of the markings, but when I looked them up, I saw they were a light breed... and these ducks are HUGE... bigger even than Muscovies, and they are still young... any guesses...

2. Senna95

Senna95 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2010
    Woodland
    Hard to tell from the photo. Muscovies have a longer bill and longer nails. Yours could also be a muscovy/maybe pekin hybrid. I've never had any, but I hear that they can get HUGE.

3. v.cyr

May 4, 2010
    Greene, NY
    Quote:believe it or not, that is the best pic we got... they run and hide from everything, so they are tough to get good shots of...

4. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    v.cyr :

Quote:believe it or not, that is the best pic we got... they run and hide from everything, so they are tough to get good shots of...

Muscovies also have a little bean at the end of their bill, I can't tell if your ducks have it. they are pretty though.​

5. bufforp89

bufforp89 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2009
    Chenango Forks NY
    If I had to guess I would say that they are a muscovy/pekin cross....they have a slight muscovy look about them but at that size and age they should have caruncles....I also want to say I see really slight caruncles. [​IMG]

6. v.cyr

May 4, 2010
    Greene, NY
    he would be really disappointed if they were... he was trying to get a flock of muscovies going again, after his last few died this last winter, and thought he was buying breeding stock( they were labeled as 2 hens and 2 drakes at the auction)... but if they are mules then that plan goes out the window... and even if they aren't, the fact that none are quacking yet would imply they are all drakes anyhow...

7. desertdarlene

desertdarlene Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2010
    San Diego
    The do have a muscovy look on them, but I doubt they're pure. But, what do I know?

8. Caprice_Acres

Caprice_Acres Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2010
    Michigan
    Those are not 'scovies. Wether or not they are mules is hard to say... they do kinda remind me of 'em, but they definetely look like pekins, too.

9. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Muscovy hens do not quack. Only hens of the mallard derived breeds "quack." They look a lot like mules, but it is difficult to make a positive evaluation from that picture-- Let me rephrase that-- I am unable to reach a positive evaluation.[​IMG]

10. FarmrGirl

FarmrGirl MooseMistress

Jul 1, 2009
    Southern Maryland
    looks like French White Production Muscovy (which get HUGE super fast) crossed with Pekin. Those are certainly not Muscovy bills - there should be a "scoop" at the end. And those are not the giant Pterodactyl feet you see on Muscovy.

This is my drake "Big Boy", see the end of the bill and the huge paws?
    [​IMG]

Before they get old enough to grow full caruncles they look like this (similar to your pic):
    [​IMG]

Muscovy tend to be super calm and extremely curious too. I practically have to step over mine before they move out of the way. And if I'm doing something they think is interesting, the whole 30 of them will creep over quietly and get really close to check it out. Sometimes I turn around and almost trip over this giant pile of Muscovy who heard something interesting and closed in on me from behind [​IMG] LOL!

Last edited: Jul 2, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by