Preventative dusting for lice and mites

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by krista74, Dec 26, 2014.

1. krista74

krista74 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2014
    Victoria, Australia.
    Question:

Is it ok to dust 9 week old chicks all over with a prepared dust such as Pestene Powder? I believe the American equivalent would be Sevin Dust?

Just want to make sure before I give my chicks a treatment.

Thanks!

- Krista

2. justplainbatty

justplainbatty Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2007
    emmet MI
    Hello over there! I personally would not use insecticide on such young ones unless you are sure lice and mites are afoot. You could use it in the coop for prevention but dust the chicks with DC which won't hurt them one bit. Once they start laying/crowing then the other product will be o.k.

3. justplainbatty

justplainbatty Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2007
    emmet MI
    Sorry, I meant DE :/

4. Michael Apple

Michael Apple Overrun With Chickens

Mar 6, 2008
    Northern California
    DE won't do squat for mites. Carbaryl is safe so long as you avoid the mucous membranes as with any dust. Be sure to treat the environment and dust again 7-10 days later if you use a dust. You may want to address the environment with a preventative residual before you raise chicks in it next time, so you don't have to deal with mites on birds.

5. krista74

Jun 4, 2014
    Victoria, Australia.
    These two birds are an example of what I'm worried about.....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I have four of these chicks, all losing feathers around their faces. They live in a cornered off section of the main coop, and have all scratched at their faces since the day after hatching. They are presently 9 weeks and 1 day old. They do not appear to scratch their bodies much, and have no feather loss anywhere else other than their faces. I can't physically see any lice or mites anywhere.

None of the full grown hens or the rooster have exhibited any signs of infestation, and since I've never had chicks before I don't know if this is normal or not. The adults are all dusted with Pestene Powder (designed specifically to kill lice and mites) but I do not have access to DE at all.

The chicks sleep in a wooden crate, filled with soft grass-hay. The floor of the coop is dirt with some hay scattered over it. All bedding and the hay on the floor are changed fully every second day. The chicks are BO x RIR.

Thoughts?

- Krista

6. krista74

Jun 4, 2014
    Victoria, Australia.
    Well, I've just been advised on the "What Breed or Gender?" Board that the feather loss around the chick's faces is normal! Apparently, this is how new chicks grow in their big bird feathers.

Since this is the first hatch I've kept I had no idea. I am such a newbie sometimes, lol.

Thank you all for your advice,

- Krista

7. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    x2 Growing chicks go through stages of molt before becoming adults. Loss of fluff and feathers is irritable to them and they scratch themselves, this is normal. First assumption is external parasites or something worse. However it doesnt hurt to pick them up on occasion and visually inspect them head to vent for external parasites or any other problems. I do it on a regular basis.

8. krista74

Jun 4, 2014
    Victoria, Australia.
    Thanks @dawg53. I really had no idea - I guess there is always something new to learn!

I do periodically check them, as I do with the older birds too. That's what was confusing me - I couldn't find anything!

- Krista

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by