Preventative treatments...any advice?

Discussion in 'Peafowl' started by new 2 pfowl, Feb 1, 2015.

1. new 2 pfowl

new 2 pfowl Overrun With Chickens

Jan 13, 2012
    California
    Hello dear Peapeople,
    So, we have to relocate due to (insert long boring story here), and my sweet boy Peggy is going to a temporary foster home. [​IMG]
    I'm wondering if you can give me some advice for how to ensure that he stays healthy?

He's going to a place with lots of different kinds of birds (peacocks, geese, ducks, turkeys, swans, pheasants, guineas, macaws, cockatoos, parrots). He will be in his own pen, previously occupied by peas. To the best of my knowledge, all the birds there are and have been healthy.

I was planning on worming him before the move, but is there anything else you recommend? This was why I asked about preventative Corid, although I gather it isn't useful pre-exposure? In case there is anything floating around there, I want him to be protected.

I greatly appreciate any advice on this! Thanks! [​IMG]

2. Trefoil

Trefoil Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 7, 2011
    The best preventative is a good diet. Good luck with your move.

1 person likes this.
  3. KsKingBee

KsKingBee Overrun With Chickens

Agreed,and to continue the list; Housing

1 person likes this.
  4. new 2 pfowl

Jan 13, 2012
    California
    Do you mean, his usual good diet? Or are there some special supplementary foods that might strengthen his immune system? Sadly, I'm not going to have complete control over his diet in his foster home.

@KsKingBee , not sure what you mean...maybe to make sure that his pen is clean/parasite-free?

Last edited: Feb 1, 2015
  5. Trefoil

Trefoil Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 7, 2011
    Anything given to birds under stress would be good for him. Also a couple of teaspoons of acv in his water. Probably not necessary, but won't hurt and could help. Aside from that, if his normal diet works well, then just continue it. If you tend to have birds getting sick, then their diet probably needs adjusting anyway.

6. KsKingBee

KsKingBee Overrun With Chickens

I was thinking of keys to good health, first being good diet, second good housing. Good housing in my mind would be having enough square footage, shelter from the elements, proper roosts, safe from sharp objects and torn wire, adequate shade and available water, and cleanliness.

7. Garden Peas

Garden Peas Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2014
    I'm thinking after he gets there, some preventative Corid might not be a bad idea. Because if the stress causes his immune system to go down, the coccidia already in his system might flare up? And maybe (though not at the same time!) some vitamins and probiotics, and maybe some extra treats just to ease the transition to new people?

Hang in there!

1 person likes this.
  8. DylansMom

DylansMom RIP 1969-2017

Jan 10, 2014
    PA
    X2 on the preventative Corid. There could be strains there he has never been exposed to and combined with stress that could be bad.

1 person likes this.
  9. new 2 pfowl

Jan 13, 2012
    California
    Can I give him Corid before he gets there?
    It would be a lot easier to do this while I have him caught for transport...
    I'm unclear about how Corid works, sorry...
    [​IMG]

10. DylansMom

DylansMom RIP 1969-2017

Jan 10, 2014
    PA
    Using Corid is not a "One dose" thing. Honestly the easiest thing would be to put him back on chick starter that is medicated with amprolium. This should give him a chance to get exposed and build up a resistance if there are any new cocci strains present. If someone can keep an eye on him that would be best, then if he would start to act "OFF" put the Corid in his water as well. It is not as scientific as weighing and dosing, but if that is not feasible, this has worked for me, and I've brought home a bunch of newbies this year and I know I have cocci in my soil. [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 2, 2015
    1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by