Preventing Boredom

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Eggstravaganza, Nov 25, 2012.

1. Eggstravaganza

Eggstravaganza Out Of The Brooder

Nov 25, 2012
    What are some good ways to keep my chickens (I have 5) from getting bored and pecking eachother? Though I let them free range on the weekends, I am gone all day during the week so I feel more comfortable keeping them in their covered run, which is about 20' x 5'. What are some toys or things I could put in their run in the morning that will occupy them for a while? I have a toy ball thing which I put scratch in, but they get done with it pretty quickly. Any ideas?

2. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    [​IMG]

You can also hang a cabbage in the run for them to peck and/or make a pile of something like straw for them to scratch in. If you mix something edible in with the straw even better!

3. FarmersChild

FarmersChild New Egg

Nov 25, 2012
    Hello, Have read that providing chickens with corn cobs and other items to peck will keep them occupied; I've seen a variety of toys to keep the chickens interested. I'd encourage you to look at MyPetChicken.com for more information, or simply Google "chicken toys". Good luck! :)
    Best,
    FarmersChild

Last edited: Nov 25, 2012
  4. Eggstravaganza

Eggstravaganza Out Of The Brooder

Nov 25, 2012
    Thanks a lot, I'll try these out. Just joined BYC and I'm so glad to have such quick and helpful responses.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by