Preventing Calcium Deposits???

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by ajeffers, Jun 8, 2008.

1. ajeffers

ajeffers Out Of The Brooder

May 6, 2008
    E. Washington
    Does anyone know how to prevent calcium deposits on egg shells?
    We sell our eggs but don't sell the "imperfect" ones, so the deposits put a cramp in how many we sell.

Any ideas ?

2. Wolf-Kim

Wolf-Kim Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2008
    I wouldn't think there was a way to prevent it. It's just what the hens do. I would sell them just the same unless your customers mention they don't like those. I would imagine the only way to prevent calcium deposits would be to withhold calcium, but then you might get egg with no shell at all. LOL. Betcha couldn't sell those!

There may be someone who has an idea, I know I don't have any.

-Kim

3. ajeffers

ajeffers Out Of The Brooder

May 6, 2008
    E. Washington
    It's interesting that we only get a couple of eggs that way a day. I wonder if it's the same hens laying those eggs?
    We do give the hens oyster shell...but like you said, if we withheld the calcium, they would be worse off.

4. Tinkerchick

Tinkerchick Out Of The Brooder

Jun 26, 2007
    Heber City, UT
    I also get calcium deposits on a certain green egg every now and then. I too wouldn't withhold the calcium. Maybe that certain hen is a calcium horder.
    T

5. Wolf-Kim

Wolf-Kim Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2008
    I've heard that certain Ameraucana hens are notorious for it. Usually it is the same hens, but not always.

Someone said that they took away their oyster shell and the calcium deposits went away for a couple of days, but once they refilled their oyster shell, the deposits came back.

-Kim

Last edited: Jun 8, 2008
  6. Nichole77

Nichole77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2007
    Arizona
    Sand them off lol.

7. Ladyfry

Ladyfry Out Of The Brooder

May 31, 2008
    What do calcium deposits look like? I have RIRs and on their eggs there are sometimes darker brown speckles all over the eggs, that will rub off, with some vigorous rubbing, lol. Are these calcuim deposits? If so, I would sell them with them, they are pretty.

8. luvmychicknkids

luvmychicknkids Canning Squirrel

Mar 6, 2008
    Floresville, Texas
    I would just go ahead and sell them. [​IMG] Most people buying farm eggs are fine with (happy even) those little imperfections that remind you these are NOT factory eggs. My EE is bad for them, and I get them occasionally from some of my other girls. I think it is just one of those "these are REAL hens laying REAL eggs" kinda things. [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 11, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by