Preventing flystrike

Bejep714

Songster
Feb 2, 2021
South East PA
I heard that fly strike could be very bad for our chickens so I was wondering a few things. Two out of our 10 chickens have dirty butts, and I worry that that could be a problem as we enter the later months of spring. We have fly's around all the time now. Our run is all dirt and our hens dust bath around the clock, but I feel that that isn't enough. I have tried to clean them before but one bites and twists, and I accidently pulled feathers, and the other is even worse. What should I do?

I heard that fly strike could be very bad for our chickens so I was wondering a few things. Two out of our 10 chickens have dirty butts, and I worry that that could be a problem as we enter the later months of spring. We have fly's around all the time now. Our run is all dirt and our hens dust bath around the clock, but I feel that that isn't enough. I have tried to clean them before but one bites and twists, and I accidently pulled feathers, and the other is even worse. What should I do?
I have a couple chickens with dirty butts, like you say. I'm going to try to worm them.
@Eggcessive @casportpony

You can try treating the flies around the coop. Permethrin spray is very good and lasts about 30 days. Some use screenwire strips over their doors to keep flies out. I would pull off any solid poop, and trim excess fluff near the vent. You can occasionally take a bucket of warm and soapy water and give a quick wash just to the vent area. Look for any lice and mites on the skin under the vent as well.

I have tried to clean them before but one bites and twists, and I accidently pulled feathers, and the other is even worse. What should I do?
I trim the feathers off, any feathers with poop stuck to them cut ~1/2" from skin.
Best to have someone else hold the bird while doing this and be very careful.
I use nose hair scissors, they are very sharp and have large rounded tips.
Haven't had to do it since I got rid of all my copiously fluffy butted birds.

If your birds have constant juicy poops, that's a whole other ball game and should be investigated, starting with diet.

I cut the twos back feathers a few days ago and the one Orpington is good now, the other not so much. Her bottom is clean, but down from it is very muddy and dirty. I could see her bare skin pretty well because some of the feathers fell off, and it is red around the feathers. Its very low, mostly on the bottom of her body, but looks horrible. Is it still a worry for flystrike? I can attach a picture if needed.

I cut the twos back feathers a few days ago and the one Orpington is good now, the other not so much. Her bottom is clean, but down from it is very muddy and dirty. I could see her bare skin pretty well because some of the feathers fell off, and it is red around the feathers. Its very low, mostly on the bottom of her body, but looks horrible. Is it still a worry for flystrike? I can attach a picture if needed.
If there is poop attached to the feathers, trim those feathers off.

Back
Top Bottom