preventing mold

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by nmeyer3, Apr 8, 2016.

1. nmeyer3

nmeyer3 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 14, 2016
    Does anyone know of any products or home remedies or some sort of bedding for preventing mold? I've been using bleach and allowing the room to air out, but I'm worried about it still being a health hazard.

2. Bridebeliever

Bridebeliever Chillin' With My Peeps

Are you talking about mold in your coop? More ventilation will help this most of all. Chickens put off TONS of moisture!

3. Tlmcq

Tlmcq Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2017
    Pomeroy, OH
    I have white fuzzy fungus/mold growth in run. Any ideas on prevention. I dug up the grassfrom areas today where it was but am searching for chicken/duck safe prevention or way to kill it

4. chickens really

chickens really Chicken Obsessed

Build up the run so it slopes downwards and use smooth pebbles and sidewalk blocks for footing ..Then you can hose it out as needed....

5. Tlmcq

Mar 17, 2017
    Pomeroy, OH
    It's a very large grass covered run. Can I just do this around baby pool as this is where growth is and would be expensive and labor intensive to do whole run. It grows under their pool. The whole run is open to air and has chicken wire top so is plenty ventilated. This started after much rain and high temps. The run and ground drain so no standing water or mud, just moisture around pool and small amount of food from them tracking and chickens kicking it. The run naturally slopes already

6. Tlmcq

Mar 17, 2017
    Pomeroy, OH
    Also, I like to move their pool so not to kill grass and give fresh growth in area. Should I stop moving it and not worry bout the mold as they can't get to it with pool in place?

7. chickens really

chickens really Chicken Obsessed

Then place the pool on sidewalk blocks or gravel for better drainage....

Tlmcq likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by