Preventing secondary infections in chickens with IB and managing symptoms

jonaeselaye

Songster
Nov 3, 2018
Melbourne, Australia
Hi BYC community,
Last year one of my brown hens was hospitalised for respiratory problems. We ordered a PCR test, she had a weak-positive for IB but she was also positive for mycoplasma and fungus infection. All of my brown hens are now ill and are sneezing every day (my silkies would also be ill but they don't have any obvious symptoms). The vets aren't too concerned at the moment because they were all treated and cleared of the mycoplasma and fungus and are behaving normally asides from the sneezing. They have all also maintained a good weight and can still breathe relatively normal (not opening their mouths to breathe). All of our chickens now go to the vet every 4 weeks for a check up to make sure they haven't contracted any secondary infections and we were provided with a lot of doxycycline to use when needed.

Asides from the above, does anyone have any tips on preventing secondary infections in chickens with lifelong illnesses? We don't intend on getting anymore chickens, we are just focused on managing the symptoms and containing the IB so that the chickens can still live the rest of their lives normally. Are there any vitamin supplements we can give them?

Thanks in advance for any tips :)

Hi BYC community,
Last year one of my brown hens was hospitalised for respiratory problems. We ordered a PCR test, she had a weak-positive for IB but she was also positive for mycoplasma and fungus infection. All of my brown hens are now ill and are sneezing every day (my silkies would also be ill but they don't have any obvious symptoms). The vets aren't too concerned at the moment because they were all treated and cleared of the mycoplasma and fungus and are behaving normally asides from the sneezing. They have all also maintained a good weight and can still breathe relatively normal (not opening their mouths to breathe). All of our chickens now go to the vet every 4 weeks for a check up to make sure they haven't contracted any secondary infections and we were provided with a lot of doxycycline to use when needed.

Asides from the above, does anyone have any tips on preventing secondary infections in chickens with lifelong illnesses? We don't intend on getting anymore chickens, we are just focused on managing the symptoms and containing the IB so that the chickens can still live the rest of their lives normally. Are there any vitamin supplements we can give them?

Thanks in advance for any tips :)
You mention they test positive for Mycoplasma and had a fungal infection as well.
Was the fungal infection "named" was it something like Aspergillosis?

Infectious Bronchitis can make birds carriers for up to a year, but Mycoplasma is a respiratory disease that makes them carriers for life. Birds can become symptomatic with any respiratory disease over and over through out their lifetime. MG may be what you are seeing. Stress can make symptoms appear and can make it worse. Stress can be anything from weather (very hot/cold), molting, coming into lay, flock disruptions, etc.

Since your birds are under vet care, it is best to consult them about anything that you use, but a lot of people that have MG positive flocks use Denagard to help "manage" symptoms. It is given in the flock's water for 3 days each month. Do some research/reading and ask your vet if that is something you should consider doing.

upload_2019-2-17_11-41-0.png

I agree with Wyorp Rock. MG (mycoplasma gallisepticum) is what you need to be concerned about. They will be carriers for life, so most of your flock has probably been exposed whether or not they became sick. IB is a virus that fortunately, they will get over within a month or so, and it makes them carriers some say for 5 months up to a year. If chickens are added or hatched during that year, they will get IB and keep the disease going for another year.

Aspergillosis is never cured. It is caused by a fungus, and the damage is always going to be there, but preventing mold, can help to contain it from getting worse. Frequently only one chicken in a flock that has poor immunity can suffer from aspergillosis, so it may not be widespread in your flock.

All respiratory diseases can be a secondary infection if that makes sense. If they have one type, then another type can add to their illness. ILT and Coryza are 2 other diseases that can be found in some flocks. Frequently in necropsies, an immuned compromised chicken may be found to have 2 or 3 different illnesses—a primary one that is complicated by another or two. E.coli bacteria and other fecal bacteria present in coop litter, can be further secondary diseases if they infect the air sacs or sinuses.

Getting testing or a necropsy can be helpful to know what you are dealing with, and that way the best antibiotics may be used. Viruses and fungal disease will not respond to antibiotics, but fortunately viral diseases tend to run their course. It is a good thing to only treat sick birds, so that the antibiotics will work when they are needed. With chronic diseases in your flock, to get rid of them permanently, one has to close the flock until all birds are gone, and sanitize facilitis. After a period of weeks or months, then new chicks can be added.

Thank you all for the helpful advice, I had a discussion with the vet about the considerations you all raised. They have given me the details of a mobile bird vet so the monthly trips to the clinic can be replaced with in-house consults :) In regards to the fungal infection, they have already treated and cleared it with a course of Itraconazole. The nurses said that the vets will have a review of the test/medical records and get back to me in regards to the mycoplasma and Denagard :)

pcr results.jpg

Thank you all for the helpful advice, I had a discussion with the vet about the considerations you all raised. They have given me the details of a mobile bird vet so the monthly trips to the clinic can be replaced with in-house consults :) In regards to the fungal infection, they have already treated and cleared it with a course of Itraconazole. The nurses said that the vets will have a review of the test/medical records and get back to me in regards to the mycoplasma and Denagard :)

View attachment 1687823
Sounds good! A mobile vet clinic so you don't have to stress birds with transport.
Keep us posted.

Back
Top Bottom