1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Preventing snakes in duck run?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Mrs.H, Jan 29, 2015.

1. Mrs.H

Mrs.H Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2010
    Had a couple run ins last summer with a black snake getting into duck run. I hate them they creep me out. Their run is a couple chain link dog kennels put together, with chicken wire covering it. Of course that only keeps the fat ones out. Was thinking of covering it with hardware cloth on the bottom going couple feet up, but would they be able to climb up the hardware cloth? They seem to be able to climb everything else. My other option im thinking of doing is just covering the bottom with bird netting which would be cheaper. Thoughts? What has worked for you? (for the most part I know you can't completly prevent snakes) And yes I collect eggs every morning so they don't attract them.

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    I doubt there's much of a way to keep them out. You wouldn't believe the places I've found them which tells me, if they want to go somewhere, they will.

Keep in mind they're there to keep the rodent population down.

They always startle me when I run into them but after the initial shock, I'm fine with them.

3. Mrs.H

Mrs.H Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2010
    I understand that. But still wanting to add another barrier to make it harder to get in. So they aren't scaring the ducks.

4. TSW99

TSW99 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2014
    Tallahassee Fl
    Not much you can do if they want in they will get in
    There are snake repellents on the market. its like a scent that they don't like.
    When a snake gets in my coop they eat eggs but can't get through the wire to excape cause they are fat with eggs so I relocate them .

5. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    I worry the chickens will kill and eat the snakes.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by