Preventing spraddle-leg

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by dancingbear, May 3, 2009.

1. dancingbear

dancingbear Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2008
    South Central KY
    A few hatches back, I started putting a square of that rubbery mesh-type shelf liner in the 'bator for the chicks to land on when they hatch. It gives them a more comfortable surface than the bare wire, and gives great traction, their little feet don't slip at all. Since I started doing this, I haven't had any more chicks with spraddle-leg.

2. tail_feather

tail_feather Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2009
    Huntsville, AL
    i tried that on my first hatch and two chicks that dried and stuck to the liner. both of them had stuck to the liner on their sides and sprain (sp?) their legs trying to get unstuck. I had to cull them. [​IMG] I was gone to work all day and had no idea this would happen. It is a great idea though. I will use it again when I know I am going to be home to watch. [​IMG]

3. dancingbear

dancingbear Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2008
    South Central KY
    OMG, what an awful thing to have happen to your babies! I'm so sorry to hear that. Mine haven't had any sticking problems at all. I wonder if your humidity is too high? I read that can make sticky chicks.

4. pascopol

pascopol Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2009
    Tampa Bay
    Quote:I use a fine mesh made from hard plastic, washable , (it is not sticky in anyway) for all my hatches and hatchery chicks for first 2 weeks, then put them on newspaper sheets.

I kneed a newspaper into a ball, then straighten it up, it is wrinkled now, never had a case of spradled eggs since I use this system.

Last edited: May 3, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by