Prevention of lice, mites and worms. Please help in prevention

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by mconro, Jul 4, 2010.

1. mconro

mconro Out Of The Brooder

Jul 3, 2010
    Hi!
    My grandma and some others I knew of growing up added some "stuff" to the chicks water that helped in the prevention of mites, lice and worms. Is anyone familiar with it? If so, could you please tell me what it is?

Thanks so much!

2. fiberart57

fiberart57 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2009
    Colorado
    You are talking about two kinds of parasites; internal and external. The only medication I know of that may help with both is Ivermectrin and it's not recommended for continual use. It's available at feed stores but I wouldn't use it as a preventative, only a cure.

I've not heard of putting stuff in their water but you can feed chickens pumpkin and other winter squash which seems to help as a preventative for worms. Others use food grade (ask for it at a feed store or order online) diatomaceous earth, DE, in their food on occasion to help with worms and other internal parasites. Do not use the kind available at pool supplies; it must be food grade.

DE can also be used as a preventative for external parasites as well. I use it in the coop by dusting their new bedding with it and I make a whitewash of DE and water and paint their roosts. You can dust around their pens and runs to keep the flies down as well.

Other preventatives are simply good husbandry. Keep the chicken areas clean. Pick up poops from nighttime roosting and rake out their run on occasion.

The only thing I add to their water is organic, Braggs apple cider vinegar (ACV) to help keep their systems in a good balance. One capful per gallon of water in a plastic waterer works well.

Mary

3. schellie69

schellie69 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 8, 2009
    Kansas
    I use the ACV with "mother" and have started using DE in their coop/pen DE also works great for killing flees on dogs and cats. I did use 2 de-worms this last month to de-worm my chickens since I noticed worms in their poop and since have started using DE and ACV as preventives. I am not sure how well DE works once your chickens have worms. I know you can mix the DE into the chickens food not sure how much I was thinking of trying the DE in my dogs food but I am still not sure how much to use so still doing research on that. How old are your chickens?

4. mconro

Jul 3, 2010
    Thank you soooo much for your help!
    My chicks are a month old. We got them from Murray McMurray and have been very happy. Out of 64 we only lost 3 Cornish X. (Don't think we will do them again.) The others are Black Star, Jersey Giants, Seabrights and one red cochin. I try to keep their coop as spotless as possible. The Cornish X are on straw as they poop so much. The others are on pine shavings.
    Is the DE dangerous? Can you eat the meat of the Cornish and the eggs from the others using these products?

Thank again!

5. schellie69

schellie69 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 8, 2009
    Kansas
    Quote:DE food grade is fine, even some people even take a tablespoon a day to help with health issues. I have read that with food grade DE you can eat the eggs and meat of the chicken since you yourself can take the food grade DE I think it would be fine to eat the meat. I bought my food grade DE on line since I could not find the food grade DE anywhere around here. I bought 10lbs it is like flour in its consistency it works great it does dry out the poop and has cut down on the flees on my dogs just make sure when you use it not to breath it in and it can hurt your lungs so wear a mask. that is the only thing that I have read on DE.

6. oldchickenlady

oldchickenlady Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2010
    Cabot, AR
    I just ordered 50 lbs of DE yesterday from www.earthworkshealth.com. I saw on their web site that they had a list of amounts to feed different animals. I originally was just going to get a small amount and try it, but once I saw that I could give it to my horses and my dog for parasites as well as the chickens I went ahead and ordered the big size. Check out their website, it is very informative.

7. mconro

Jul 3, 2010
    :)Thanks! Heading to the website right now!!

8. The Tinman

The Tinman Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2010
    Fairfield County CT
    If you go to Amazon.com you can find DE for a good price.Just make sure you do not get nailed on shipping.Overall you should be paying$50-$60 for 50lbs including shipping. also make sure it is food grade

9. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by