Preventive measures?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by hd_darcy, Jul 1, 2010.

1. hd_darcy

hd_darcy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2010
    Wisconsin
    I am new to the chicken-world, and am sooo grateful for this site. I have learned tons. I am now wondering if there are any preventive measures I should be taking so my chickens don't get diseases...worms...mites/lice?? I keep hearing DE too, what is that, and should I use it even though my chickens seem to not have any problems (so far)? Thanks in advance!

2. chicknduck

chicknduck Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2010
    Ohio
    I use the DE as a preventitive on the chickens and the next boxes. I also use it in the sand and dirt out side of their coop ( I rake it in.) I am also pretty new to chickens too mine are 12 weeks old and I just have been following the advice on the website for useing DE. I hope this helps. Oh and I put the DE in their food too. one pound for 50 pounds of food.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2010
  3. hd_darcy

hd_darcy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2010
    Wisconsin
    Okay, so what does DE stand for, and what is it doing?! I'm assuming TSC has it? Thanks!

4. chicknduck

chicknduck Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2010
    Ohio
    Diatomaceous Earth (Food Grade) If you search the web you will find alot of info on it and . I have been unable to get it from TSC in PA so I ordered it from My pet chicken.

5. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

Diatomacious Earth (and I probably butchered that spelling...lol). It's basically fossilized matter that will cut into the proportionally softer shells of parasites and kill them.

6. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

Oh...and I would try to find general feed stores in your area (not TSC, but JUST feed stores). Generally, if they don't keep it on hand, they will order it for you, a 50 lb bag for appx. @$30, which I'm sure is MUCH cheaper than MPC.

7. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    I don't think that "things you can buy" or "things you can dose chickens or coops with" is a very sound approach to preventing health problems.

To my way of thinking, the very most important two preventive measures are 1) practice good biosecurity when acquiring ANY birds, meaning preferably you would only buy day-old chicks or hatching eggs and only from a good clean source (no auction or swap birds, no part-grown birds, no adult birds), and quarantine as appropriate; and 2) keep them in as good conditions as you can manage, which means doing everything you can to minimize crowding and social stress, keep the coop and run reasonably hygeinic (from a functional standpoint, not like 'you can eat off it'), healthy feeding, never letting them run out of food or clean water, excellent air quality through appropriate ventilation, etc etc.

No dust or additive is going to make up for problems created by shortcomings in the above two categories.

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by