Preventive medicine ?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by cochin44, Apr 1, 2009.

1. cochin44

cochin44 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2009
    St. Amant, LA
    Is there any kind of standard regimen of administering certain medicines at this age, and certain ones at that age,etc? It seems like most of my birds die between the ages of 3 months and 6 months, just when they get turned out in the big pens. I sure would like to find some kinds of "immunizations" if there are such things.

2. gumpsgirl

gumpsgirl Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    First off, you never medicate unless it's absolutely necessary. The reason being is that if you offer or give medications when the chickens are not sick, their bodies will only build resistance to the medication. Save the medications for when you will need them, if ever. With good flock management and a predator proof run or free ranging area, that day might never come. [​IMG]

Second, the theory of most birds dying at ages 3 to 6 months is just not true. There are many people on here who have never lost a chicken, let alone at that age. Again, if you are managing your flock properly, you shouldn't have any problems.

Third, there are immunizations available and you can get them at places like www.jefferslivestock.com . There are many who never immunize and never have problems, then there are some who do. If you plan to show your birds, then of course, immunizations would be an absolute must. If not, then the most common illness' to vaccinate against would be Marek's, which can only be done in day old chicks to be effective, and Infectious Bronchitis (IB)/Newcastle Disease. Both of those can be done by yourself, or most hatcheries (if that's where you choose to get your chicks from) offer those vaccinations at a very nominal price.

I mentioned good flock management several times. Here is a link to a thread started by speckledhen on good flock management. It's a great thread! You'll have to check it out. https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=129278

Happy
    chicken keeping! [​IMG]

3. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    I am not going to disagree with anything Gumpsgirl said. She knows whereof she speaks.

If your chickens are really dying after you introduce them to your flock, what are the symptoms? If you have been raising the chicks separate from your flock, there are possibly some diseases in your flock that the existing grown birds have developed an immunity to or maybe were vaccinnated against but the chicks are vulnerable. If you can describe the symptoms, somebody may be able to help with certain management practices or vaccinations that could help you. I'm thinking specifically cocci, Marek's or foulpox. There could be others.

4. cochin44

cochin44 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2009
    St. Amant, LA
    Very interesting, Thanks.

Looks like I need to brush up on my flock management.

What I am doing now is building smaller raised-floor pens for my show birds, and keeping them on pine shavings. I'm not going to let them tromp around in mud and standing rainwater anymore.

As far as symtoms, the smaller birds would sometimes get peck wounds and then die a couple days later, other than that didn't really notice anything abnormal, just all of a sudden find them laying in the middle of the coop dead.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by