Price for Chickens

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Run Wild, Apr 11, 2017.

1. Run Wild

Run Wild Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 20, 2016
    I am hoping to buy more chickens soon, but instead of chicks I would like to get a pullet and a rooster whose about a year old.

If I found these types of birds at a chicken swap/trade about how expensive would they be?:

Isbar pullet
    Black Copper Maran, or any type of Maran rooster
    Ameraucana pullet

2. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    The price will be what you and the seller agree upon.
    Hard to estimate what those birds might go for where you live.
    Actually it's impossible as you've not put your location in your profile.
    Could be $10....could be $50.

Beware that buying birds at a swap is a really good way to bring disease and/or pests into your flock.

3. Spartan22

Spartan22 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2014
    North Canton, Ohio

2X

4. IdyllwildAcres

IdyllwildAcres Chillin' With My Peeps

I wouldn't do it. Closed flock. Way too many stories on here about bringing home disease.

Gary

5. EggSighted4Life

EggSighted4Life Overrun With Chickens

Hi, I see you are fairly new to BYC, welcome! [​IMG]

First thought is DON'T buy from a swap... [​IMG]

Second thought is you may want to ask about human aggression in a rooster that age, as people will often not voluntarily disclose this info.

I wouldn't pay more than $30 for a bird that age... unless it was a very specific line for breeding and people who go to swaps are not that serious IMO.

For example if someone has Green Fire Farms FBCM, that cost $60 per chick, they will not risk health at a swap... or sell started birds that cheap.

Where you at? I have those birds that age...

Also, are you looking for a true Ameraucana that conforms to the SOP or one that doesn't conform and breeders like to call Easter Eggers? All these things add up to helping you make a decision and find the birds you desire. [​IMG]

6. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

The thing not many people understand is that all Chickens carry disease...Your flock has disease but are immune to it....Bringing in other Birds with maybe another type of disease your birds have never been exposed to or visa versa spreads the disease....;)

Totally your call....Your birds...:)

Best wishes....

Cheers!

7. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

I have introduced others without issue....also $20 a bird is the most I would pay for the birds you listed ..

8. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    I can't advise you as to abettor not you should buy from a swap, as I have never done that. If you do, I would suggest you consider a true medical quarantine if you have the facilities for that. If you can't do that, you are the only one who can decide how much risk you're willing to take with your flock. It could turn out just fine. But it only takes once to lose all your birds...

As far as prices go, that depends upon your area, supply and demand, and how much you're willing to pay.

1 person likes this.
  9. Egghead_Jr

Egghead_Jr Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2010
    NEK, VT
    To me price is dependant on quality of bird. Would you pay top dollar for a hatchery bird just because it's said to be a breed you want? Would you expect to get a top quality bred to standard of perfection pullet for 15-$20? Certainly not. Just as hatchery birds don't come close to standards of perfection neither are breeder's birds all top quality. Very few birds are worth breeding forward but those birds are worth more. Some people put value in rarity of birds but I put the value in quality which is quite rare. If a so called rare breed has so many faults it's hard to be able to call it the breed name anymore then what value does it have?

I have no problem with birds at sanctioned swaps. I believe every state now requires vet inspection of birds or very least NPIP certification of sellers. Quarantine of any bird regardless of source is prudent. Biosecurity should be on people's minds but certainly don't close your flock or run from swaps out of fear. If we act panicked then the poultry terrorist have already won. Be vigilant and resposible not paranoid.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by