Price for hatching eggs on Calls and Mandarins

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by tonini3059, Jan 1, 2010.

1. tonini3059

tonini3059 [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG]Luv

Nov 6, 2008
    Southwestern PA
    What is a fair price for Call Duck eggs and Mandarin/ White Mandarin eggs. I don't want to overcharge. I see some people selling call eggs for $8 an egg and I think that is a bit much.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2010
  2. 1lpoock

1lpoock Spruce Creek Waterfowl

Apr 20, 2009
    Sandusky, Ohio
    The general rule of thumb is whatever you will charge for a day old duckling of a certain breed,an egg would be half that price
    I'd say around $5 per egg for calls and maybe $10 or $12 for mandarins

3. momof247371

momof247371 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2009
    I have baught eggs cheaper than that on here. I think $5 per call egg is a bit much but that is fair for mandarin eggs...IMO

4. NYREDS

NYREDS Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2008
    I would think that like other poultry prices it would depend on the quality of the Calls. For some Calls $8 might be a bargain. For others $1 an egg would be too much.
    Also, like other poultry prices there really isn't a way to establish a right price. If you can get someone to pay you $50 for an egg that is by definition worth $50. If you can't get more than $1 that's what it's worth. Value is established by agreement between buyer & seller.

5. duckluck

duckluck Dulcimyrh Ducks

Oct 22, 2009
    Illinois
    Quote:You said what I was going to say, especially about the calls. There is so much variance in quality you really can't nail down a price. You also have to take into account where , when and how you are buying them...like, I was at a show this fall and bought some good quality whites from a well known breeder. They were there, I was there, I liked what I saw and was able to inspect them, and I took them home the same day with no shipping involved. Some people would think I paid too much and others would say I got a steal on them. Two of the hens have already produced eggs with decent shells, all of the ducks have placed at a show and they have all become a LOT better tamed, so to my mind, they have increased in value. It all really is a "depends" question.

6. Boggy Bottom Bantams

Boggy Bottom Bantams Overrun With Chickens

Mar 9, 2008
    Hahira, GA
    Yep, fully agree there also on calls, aside from quality, the actual color would play a role there. I'd pay more for rarer colors like butterscotch and silvers, than greys and whites, they're a dime a dozen. As for mandarins, you also have to take into account they are only$40-$50 per pair as yearlings, so.... why pay $50 for 4 or 5 eggs that might not hatch when you can get a yearling pair for the same price, now on whites, yes I can see that for them, they are well worth it!

When you finally decide on what you want for them, let me know. a friend of mine is looking for some as am I . colors of the call and pics would help too...Never get tired of looking at those.
    Al else fails, put 'em on ebay and let the bidders decide. That's how I base prices for new breeds..
    Good luck
    Aubrey

7. tonini3059

Nov 6, 2008
    Southwestern PA
    Yeah, I knew that quality of the parent stock was going to be the biggest factor in determining the price of the egg. I was looking for ideas for an average egg price though. My calls may not be show quality, however they are much better, at least in my opinion, than some I have seen. I would like to take pictures of the different colored parents we plan on breeding in the spring. When I do I will post them so the experts can give me some more feedback. Also I have put together a preliminary price list, I just need approval from the wife.

8. NYREDS

NYREDS Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2008
    OK now that's just sad-you need approval from your wife. Time to man up rule your roost!!!
    BTW no need to tell my wife I said that.

9. tonini3059

Nov 6, 2008
    Southwestern PA
    I know, I wish I could man up, but she just will not let me. That's okay, though, I know my place. And don't worry, I will not tell your wife, but I can't guarantee she will not read it.

10. tonini3059

Nov 6, 2008
    Southwestern PA
    What Brandon forgot to mention is that they are *my* ducks and that they were PITA's, then the cuteness factor got to him. Now they are *ours* [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 6, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by