1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Price for registered Nubian (PICTURE!)

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by BeardedChick, Jan 30, 2009.

1. BeardedChick

BeardedChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Ok, I'm gonna go look at another goat early next week. The guy was recommended to me by a couple of folks. When I called, he didn't have anything for sale until after kidding... After talking a while, I asked if he would consider selling a doe before she kids, and he said it would be expensive, around $350-$400.

Now to me, that sounds reasonable for a registered 2 yr. old registered nubian doe that has been shown locally and won first place at county fair last year. AND she's due to kid in May.

Anyway, IS that a reasonable price? I am really considering it. I had liked the Sannens from my reading, but I am sure I would love a Nubian, too. My other doe is half Sable, half Nubian anyway.

The other thing is that I am sure it would give me good access to this guy's buck stock. He breeds for dairy show quality, good udders and milkers, so I think it might be worth it just for having him as a contact/mentor.

Advise or reality check me before I go look, because I am [​IMG] an overly excited noodlehead about this goat project!

It did not help that I went and looked at a friend's newborn kids yesterday.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2009
  2. helmstead

helmstead Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2007
    Alfordsville, IN
    Yup, sounds fair to me! Most of the show bred does I've seen go from $400 to $1000, and they're usually sold open. Of course in todays economy, you can find deals (under $300 for a bred doe) but you have to know people or just get lucky, and many times they're not SQ or they're percentage.

ETA: make sure she's purebred, not American...makes a difference in value.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2009
  3. Sammysmom

Sammysmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2008
    Saint Johns, AZ
    That's a great deal! I paid $250.00 a piece for mine as kids. As long as she checks out health wise, I'd go for it! Good luck![​IMG]

4. BeardedChick

Thanks - I will get some more information when I see him. And pictures, if I can get some! [​IMG]

5. BeardedChick

Ok, here she is. I asked and she is pure Nubian, not American. I took the picture, not the best angle.

[​IMG]

What do you think??

6. Blackbird

Blackbird Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2009
    MN
    She is very pretty! What are her bloodlines?

Yes, Nubians are my favorite dairy goat, I have 10, PB, American, and mix.

I think you will enjoy them.[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. helmstead

helmstead Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2007
    Alfordsville, IN
    Q Te Pie!

She looks in the pic a little short of neck, but I think it's the way she's posing. She is fabulous! I love the reds, too (obviously, that's what I bought, too).

8. griffin45

griffin45 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 15, 2008
    South Central Virgina
    The price is reasonable. We might go that high for a pregger Nubian. She is a pretty goat, the pictue makes her legs and neck look short though. She looks like our Ginger. I would buy her, but thats just me!
    [​IMG]
    Chris

9. BeardedChick

She is a little shorter than anyone else in the herd by an inch or so. Her mom (on premesis) is larger, and her sire is also. She is bred to a large young buck for this kidding... The breeder said he considered her height her main fault.

However, I like her. She really didn't stand out from the herd when I was there, I think because she doesn't have splashy white marks and she wasn't tall and impressive.

Glad I got some pictures to review. Those silly Nubian ears are getting to me. [​IMG]

10. PotterWatch

PotterWatch My Patronus is a Chicken

Apr 22, 2008
    Virginia
    I know nothing about Nubians. Can someone tell me the difference between PB and American?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by