Price Lb for pastured poultry

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by TundraChick, Oct 5, 2007.

1. TundraChick

TundraChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2007
    West Viriginia
    I found a farm that sells pastured chickens for $2.50/lb dressed. I was wondering what others have paid.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2007
  2. OHChick

OHChick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2007
    i buy meat from my friend's brother who runs a farm in SE Ohio. he charges $1.50/lb for a whole chicken (cleaned and dressed) and $2.50/lb for boneless/skinless breasts.

the price on the boneless is cheaper than the walmart here where i live, so i order a TON of that.

3. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

[​IMG]

That's like how much regular chicken goes for here per lb when not on sale!!!

Organic "free range chicken" goes for about 5-8 a lb for whole chicken... I am basing this off of an ad where they were having a sale on the birds for 7.99 a lb... not per bird. It was a higher end chain so I assume that other places are a dollar or so less per lb.

4. mdbucks

mdbucks Cooped Up

Jul 14, 2007
    EXIT 109 on 95
    Quote:Our purdue goes on sale for that I would be buying that up too.

5. greyfields

greyfields Overrun With Chickens

Mar 15, 2007
    Washington State
    I sell at $3 per pound. My neighbor sells at $3.50 per pound. We both sell out within a few weeks of processing a crop. I can't see how meat chickens can ever be lucrative (compared with eggs); but I think it's a great avenue to get people starting to eat our beef, lamb, pork, duck and goose. Loss Leader!

6. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    $2.50 a pound is common in our private sector, while $3.50 a pound in the commercial arena here.

Jody

7. ksmama97

ksmama97 Out Of The Brooder

May 2, 2007
    Kansas
    The farm we buy our raw milk and chicken from charges about $2.50/lb for a "fryer". Whole chicken, dressed and frozen.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by