Price Lb for pastured poultry

i buy meat from my friend's brother who runs a farm in SE Ohio. he charges $1.50/lb for a whole chicken (cleaned and dressed) and $2.50/lb for boneless/skinless breasts.

the price on the boneless is cheaper than the walmart here where i live, so i order a TON of that.

ep.gif

That's like how much regular chicken goes for here per lb when not on sale!!!

Organic "free range chicken" goes for about 5-8 a lb for whole chicken... I am basing this off of an ad where they were having a sale on the birds for 7.99 a lb... not per bird. It was a higher end chain so I assume that other places are a dollar or so less per lb.

I sell at $3 per pound. My neighbor sells at $3.50 per pound. We both sell out within a few weeks of processing a crop. I can't see how meat chickens can ever be lucrative (compared with eggs); but I think it's a great avenue to get people starting to eat our beef, lamb, pork, duck and goose. Loss Leader!

$2.50 a pound is common in our private sector, while $3.50 a pound in the commercial arena here.

Jody

The farm we buy our raw milk and chicken from charges about $2.50/lb for a "fryer". Whole chicken, dressed and frozen.

Back
Top Bottom