1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Price of day olds gone up....

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by mamaboyd, Mar 14, 2008.

1. mamaboyd

mamaboyd Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2007
    Kendal.Ontario,Canada
    Last year when we bought our day old chicks, they cost about $1.15 each. This year, the same place wants $2.50 per day old. Has the price in general gone up for chickens?

We were going to buy some white rock cornish cross birds for meat for starters, let them reach the weight they need to be, than have them processed, than buy some more day olds of what we got last year. I have found another place that sells the white rocks cheaper(like what we paid last year), but now I need to find a good hearty breed that will be dual purpose, but will do as well as the type we bought last year, for the second batch of birds for this year.

Any suggestions for a breed that is dual purpose, have a good meat flavor, is generally a friendlier breed etc, that will endure our Ontario climate??

2. Dodgegal79

Dodgegal79 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 1, 2007
    Princeton BC Canada
    At the local auction here the day olds are going for $5 to $6. Hens are going about $8 to $13 and rooster anywhere from $6 to $24.

3. mamaboyd

Jun 6, 2007
    Kendal.Ontario,Canada
    Oh my, I guess I shouldn't complain about the price of day olds here!! [​IMG]

4. Dodgegal79

Dodgegal79 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 1, 2007
    Princeton BC Canada
    Sound like it!! I am hatching some chicks out and would like to keep them but I think i may sell them as day olds, best way to get my money back.

5. countryboy

countryboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2007
    about 5 weeks ago we bought some chicks at the feed store for $2.25 wednesrday i went in for some feed and to check if they had br chicks i wanted and the price is now $2.65.

6. mamaboyd

Jun 6, 2007
    Kendal.Ontario,Canada
    Usually this time of year the TSC Store is advertising their "Chick Days" where you can get white rocks day olds for .99 cents a piece. This year they haven't put in their newspaper ads, I'm wondering if they used to get them form the same hatchery as we did and found it too costly to offer the chicks this year. [​IMG]

7. hooligan

hooligan Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2007
    Arkansas
    At Atwoods they range anywhere from $1.39-$2.69 for chickens.

8. nccountrygirl

nccountrygirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 31, 2007
    Sanford N.C.
    I gave 4.50 a chick from a breeder here.

9. mamaboyd

Jun 6, 2007
    Kendal.Ontario,Canada
    Okay, I'll stop complaining about the price's of chicks up here!!

Actually, I'd really like to try out incubating/hatching eggs here at home, but that's another ball game [​IMG]

10. Redfeathers

Redfeathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 11, 2007
    Gervais OR
    I just paid 1.49 for each buff orp and 2.99 for my slw

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by