Price of EGGS

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Janiecoke, Feb 18, 2013.

1. Janiecoke

Janiecoke Out Of The Brooder

Mar 14, 2012
    Glen Mississippi
    How many of you sell eggs? What is the going price for a doz in your area? TY

2. mstricer

mstricer Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2009
    Ohio
    Amish sell for 2 dozen. I sell for 2.50 to co-workers (when I'm getting eggs)

3. Janiecoke

Janiecoke Out Of The Brooder

Mar 14, 2012
    Glen Mississippi
    I was reading somewhere that North of me they sell them for 4 a doz and that shocked me.

4. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    $4/dozen here. On sale, the grocery store gets around $2.50/dozen for plain, icky eggs. I was charging $3 when the grocery store was at $1.79 on sale. Now that they have increased their price, so have I. I always look to see what they are selling for in the store, then pick my price based on that. And I have no shortage of customers - in fact, quite the opposite, I have more customers wanting them than I have eggs.

5. rooster 1918

rooster 1918 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 1, 2012
    Lapeer, MI
    We get $2 a dozen in Southeastern Lower Michigan. We too have more people wanting eggs then our chickens produce. We sell to neighbors first to keep peace in the neighborhood.

6. ladytoysdream

ladytoysdream Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2010
    New York
    I was getting $ 3 at the small farm market last year. Then the price of grain went stupid end of last year, and I raised my price to $ 4. And that is what I get now. During the winter, we don't have the market so it's been interesting. Last winter and the year before I gave away a lot of eggs. I only had a few paying customers. This winter has been different. I have one customer who takes 10 dz once a month and pays $ 2.50 per dz. I have one guy who buys wholesale from me and will take whatever I can spare him. The last pickup was 12 dz at $ 2 per dz. Then I have a couple of neighbors who I can call if I really get backed up and they also pay the $ 2 per dz. I just recently got a new customer and sold him jumbo eggs at $ 4 a dz and he comes here to pick them up. Hopefully he will become a steady customer.
    I added some new birds recently so my egg numbers have come up nicely. I was getting like 15 to 20 a day and now I am getting anywhere between 23 to 30 a day. Eggs are brown, and I do have several that lay blue or green eggs. No white ones. I do weigh them and hold back any small or medium for my own use. So what I sell is large, xlarge and jumbo size. My egg sales currently are paying grain costs. Hopefully when the weather gets better, I might even see a few $$ to pay for my labor, after gas and grain costs.

1 person likes this.
  7. lahowardjr

lahowardjr Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 15, 2012
    Bache Oklahoma
    I get $2.00 a dozen in SE Oklahoma. $1.75 if they return a carton for another dozen. Wal-Mart is selling a dozen white Large "A" for $1.88 here so its kind of hard to go much higher.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  8. JWS2

JWS2 New Egg

Mar 8, 2013
    Rio Grande, Ohio
    $2.50 in SE Ohio

9. HouseMouseHens

HouseMouseHens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 31, 2012
    Portland, Oregon
    My Coop
    We sell ours $5 a dozen, and give a $.50 discount if they bring the carton back. But before you freak out, there are a few factors that go into this. First off, our chickens are organic, and second, I live in a high cost of living area. Everything is more expensive here than other places I have lived (Portland, Oregon) We have no shortage of people wanting eggs from us, and sell about 3 to 4 dozen a week (keeping a dozen or so for ourselves.) Organic eggs from the grocery store are between $4 and $4.50 here.

10. HouseMouseHens

HouseMouseHens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 31, 2012
    Portland, Oregon
    My Coop
    We recently went to one of the (many) farmers markets near us in the city and there were urban farmers selling chicken eggs for $6-$7 a dozen and duck eggs for $8-$10 a dozen! Insanity!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by