price of hatching eggs?

Discussion in 'Buy Sell Auction - Archives' started by okiehen, Jan 10, 2009.

1. okiehen

okiehen Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 25, 2007
    Oklahoma
    How do you set a price for hatching eggs. I want to be fair and shipping price how do you get it ?
    I have looked at the persons web site were I got my eggs from and I only think its fair to price my eggs at the same price as she has hers. Would this be fair?
    As this is basically the same stock right?
    Breeds I'm going to have eggs from this spring are:
    Welsummer
    Golden Lakenvelders
    Blue Andalusian
    Barred Rock
    And mixed breeds if any one is interested.
    Any input would be greatly appreciated.
    Also I will add extras to all egg orders.

2. AK_Button_Mama

AK_Button_Mama Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2008
    Wasilla, Alaska
    well I understand that hatching eggs cost a little more but I cant see why they are SOOOOOOO much more. I really cant afford to buy a dozen eggs for 35 dollars... so I will not be getting some of the ones I would like to have 1 hen from.... I would Love to have a welsummer hen...but I cant justify the purchase of 32 dollars in hatching eggs to have several of them lost in shipping. then no gaurantee that i will even get 1 hen... I cant find a local person whose not insane either (one peson local wants 30 bucks a pullet, not laying yet) I just cant afford that.... Alaska is just like a island we are extremely limmited to what we have up here.... I hope you find a fair price for your eggs. (sorry I was on my soap box!)

3. BuckeyeDave

BuckeyeDave Overrun with Buckeyes

May 27, 2008
    Minster, Ohio
    My Coop
    Charge as much as the market will bear. Think of all of the investing you have done to this point, the cost of effort, chicks, feed and housing. I don't think anyone would fault you for charging a fair market price as you can to recoup your investment. $ 20 - $ 30 per dozen seems like a fair price, if someone is serious about wanting the eggs they will pay it.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2009
  4. AK_Button_Mama

Dec 30, 2008
    Wasilla, Alaska
    Quote:That is totally true.. some ppl would pay what ever you ask.. I personally cant pay more than a buck per egg plus shipping. but that doesnt mean others wont! and worst case if you ask 40 bucks a dozen for eggs and ask for shipping and no one wants to buy them well you know you are asking to much!!! right![​IMG]

5. Boggy Bottom Bantams

Boggy Bottom Bantams Overrun With Chickens

Mar 9, 2008
    Hahira, GA
    They are both right!
    Supply and demand names the price.
    Put them on eBay or Eggbid at what you think is fair, let folks bid on them from there and you will see what they are worth then. Get an average from a few auctions ,then set that as your price for private sells. That's how we tend to do it.

Lots of folks try to tell you,

you're charging me what for eggs? They didnt cost you a dime and you want $30 for 12?

Well, these guys have obviously never raised a bird!
    There is no such thing as a free egg. Between your time, feed, houseing, supplies, shipping and packing eggs, auction and paypal cost. Etc!

We sell eggs basically to fund our addiction! LOL
    Most breeders at best , break even every year, if you are luck enough to make a profit, The addiction thing usually ends up getting that!

If they'll pay it, get all you can out of them!
    Aubrey

6. greathorse

greathorse Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2008
    Northern Colorado
    I agree that you should get what you can for them. Hatching eggs are for sure worth more than eating eggs even if they come right out of the same coop.

I bought some nice eggs locally this year and I think I paid six dollars a dozen but I went and picked them up and there was no wrapping and shipping. I thought it was way more than fair.

If wrapping etc. I think that 12-15 dollars plus shipping might be a miniimum for me. A person must consider what their time is worth to do all that wrapping etc.

7. klf73

klf73 Mad Scientist

Jun 1, 2008
    Maine
    I think the quality of the stock is a better guideline. If the original birds came from hatchery stock, then I would think the price would be lower. If the breeders are from show quality stock then of course the price would be higher. This doesnt' guarantee the show quality stock will hatch out better quality, but the odds are higher that they meet the standard better. If you have high quality, you should get paid for it. If I bought hatchery quality welsummer eggs then I wouldn't expect to pay more than $1-$2 an egg, if they were breeder stock then I would pay $2-$3 + an egg (would go higher if pics showed very high quality stock and nice egg color [​IMG] ). I have a local breeder that has exhibition quality, and I can get a dozen of blue andalusian or lakenvelders for $8, of course this is not common and he sells most of his eggs for eating. If you are going to sell here you can do a search and see what they are going for. Good luck [​IMG]

8. Boggy Bottom Bantams

Boggy Bottom Bantams Overrun With Chickens

Mar 9, 2008
    Hahira, GA
    Quote:OH Yes,
    That goes without saying I would hope!

9. Gatekeeper

Gatekeeper Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2008
    Louisiana
    I believe there are a lot of other factors to consider when pricing your eggs. Start up cost, feed, quaility of your stock, availability, shipping and yes of course demand.

There are those who feed their birds chops (corn), aren't medicated or treated for worms, parasites etc. There are some who leave their birds all together. Others feed premium feed to theirs, their birds never touch the ground and are treated for parasites etc. This is not to say you can't buy the first type of breeder and get good eggs or results.

You can fish in a flat bottom boat; fish from a high priced Ranger or something in between. But I can assure you - you will catch fish. How many? Results depends on what you want from your efforts.

Someone posted on here about 6 Maran eggs that fetched a priced of $224 or so. If I wanted backyard chickens, forget it! If I had a specific need that these eggs might fill, maybe I would bid nearly $500 for a dozen eggs.

To those that find $32 doz (including shipping) for quality eggs too much; then settle for something less expensive.

Gate

10. AK_Button_Mama

Dec 30, 2008
    Wasilla, Alaska
    This is basically what I have done (I settled for a bird of less value) I would LOVE to have a welsummer but at the price I cant right now! maybe some day....[​IMG] and I totally agree that the pricve of the eggs is directly related tot eh quality of the bird!!! I certainly wouldnt pay 50 bucks for a egg that was a mutt.....)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by