Price Of Organic Eggs

CoopDelisle

Songster
11 Years
Feb 26, 2008
Gulf Coast
Okay, is it just down here in the South? We were at the grocery tonight and buying eggs (come on girls, grow up so we can have fresh eggs), and the organic eggs were $4.29 a dozen, with the eggs they call "cage free" going for $2.79, and they are SMALL....I already have friends telling me to put them on the list for buying eggs when our girls start laying. I am still trying to figure out what to charge. I just want to make enough to pay for feed, but we spoil our girls and want to get what they are worth. Anyway, I think it is amazing that our grocers are asking so much for their eggs. What are they going for where you live?

We get $2.00 a dozen here since feed went up! I had rather sell free range type eggs for $2 than get $4 for organic. There is more to organic than most people think! Just google up what U have to do to be Certified Organic.

Between $3.35 and $5.00 a dozen, depending on brand and store.

I am going to sell mine at the local Farmer's Market for $3.50 a dozen. Well, unless someone else is getting more
hmm.png

I hear ya there. We have tried to be as organic as possible, only using organic products in our gardens and feeds and such, but we have treated lumber in the coop and other places, and who knows what else we have around here that is not "organic" per se. I was just a bit surprised to see the selection of different eggs in the store and how expensive some were. How do I really know if they are cage free or truly "organic" or not? I guess that is a bonus for me...my friends have all been so impressed with our set-up here. They can see for themselves how we raise our chickens.

Our local farmers' market started last week. I sold our eggs for $4 a dozen - not organic - free roaming. (I sold at least $85 worth and that's not counting those I donated to a charity booth to sell.

A friend who is organic couldn't get anyone to buy hers for the same price.

They say that people are starting to see the word organic in a negative, over used sense and the new buzz word is "local" maybe that's the answer.

I might go down to $3.50 a dozen if she lowers hers. I normally charge what she does so that I don't under cut her. She had to pay $700 for a truck load of organic feed. WOW

Mary Ann

Its everywhere. Agricultural products across the board are up. All the more reason to sell your eggs, although I'd avoid the word organic and go with "old fashioned fresh."

Natural, Cage-Free eggs here go for over $4.00. Organic at the supermarket are currently $5.99, and $6.39 at other stores.

Both sell well, but here people sometimes choose the natural, because of the price difference.

Proving someone's eggs are organic shouldn't be difficult. Ask for proof if you are wondering, and copy the information. You can call to confirm it, just note who the certifier is.

There are 2 schools of thought on pricing. One is to stay right in line with other eggs like your own. The other is to undercut the free-range etc. eggs from the store, and take the business. You will have to decide which seems like the right choice for you, and see if the customers remain loyal at the prices you set.

Good luck!
smile.png

"Organic" is another of those things that is easily twisted. In most peoples minds it is downright confusing and can be close to meaningless when all is said and done.
There is assuredly a mountain of red-tape and beaurocratic foo-faw you have to go through to be organic certified and it burdens you, the producer, more than anybody.

Why put yourself through that and get in bed with those folks?

Unless you are planning to produce eggs in commercial quantitities, it won't mean much more money to you, if any, down at the farmers market or road side stand. When you add the extra bother to be certified and the fact that it puts all the control over YOU in their hands, well... No thanks.

Just raise your birds right, make sure yor eggs are 'farm fresh' and be done with it.

i like the idea of organic, but at what cost? using organic feed would require grains from multibillion dollar companies that get the subsidies + crazy prices. They are over pricing it and sending it on the road to everyone around the nation, over charging everyone including me.

If it were organic scraps and a DIY feed regime, that'd be awesome but I couldn't do that. I'd rather be sustainable than organic any day.

Organic started out so noble, but anymore, I only buy it when it's cheaper than regular food. I pay more for local and love that the farmer's markets are back in the summer season! However, a dozen organic eggs is $3.79 and $4.19 here.

Back
Top Bottom