Price of Turkey feed?

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by TammyP, May 6, 2011.

1. TammyP

TammyP Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 2, 2009
    SW Wisconsin
    Just wondering what everyone is paying for a bag of turkey feed? What brands and types are you feeding your birds?

I just bought a large bag of Purina Gamebird feed- I think it's called Startena 30% protein for $18.00. Owch...this turkey bird project is gonna hit the pocket book hard at this rate.... [​IMG]

I'm in SW Wisconsin.....

2. ColbyNTX

ColbyNTX Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2009
    Woods, TX
    Yes, the gamebird startena is around $18.00. I use a local mill, Lone Star with 28% starter, it's about $15.50 and 20% layer for about $11.72.

3. terri9630

terri9630 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2009
    New Mexico
    I use Hi Pro's turkey and gamebird starter and it runs about $19. I use it on our turkeys and broilers.

4. linda_zeagler31002

linda_zeagler31002 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2010
    Adrian, Georgia
    I go to the local Minonites farm, he has ground feed, and a list of any additives you want to add and he will grind feed to the percent of protien you want, I pay $10 for 50 pounds of 26% protein ground feed. Everyone has a Mr. Yoder, check in your phone book and just call one and ask for a farmer Yoder. I also make a 5 gallon bucket of meal worms to give them as a treat or snack, they see the meal worm (red folgers coffee plastic can) they come running for their snack of meal worms, this gives them a snack and extra protein, I also have a catabra tree and they love catabra worms. As you can tell my Royal Palms, Wild Eastern, and Bronze turkeys are sure spoiled, but so are the rest of all my babies.

5. Denninmi

Denninmi Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2009
    The one feed store close to where I work is charging $15.50 for 50lbs of Armada Milling Company (local here in SE Michigan) 22% turkey grower pellets and $16.00 for 50lbs of Gamebird Starter (28%) protein from the same company.

6. TammyP

TammyP Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 2, 2009
    SW Wisconsin
    Thanks everyone for your replies. [​IMG] Guess I'm paying about the same as everyone else.

I have a few more questions also since I'm just getting into the turkey side of things.....been doing some chicken raising for 2 years now.....

How much does a person charge for a thanksgiving turkeybird? I've got someone interested in having me raise a couple for her holiday table..... not sure what to charge her when they are ready.....

How do you know how much the birds weigh? Do you put them on a scale before you pick them out to butcher them or how do you know?

What age is a good age to butcher them? As they age does the meat get different than if they are younger? (like chickens)

Does everyone butcher their own turkeys or have someone else do them? Are they easier than chickens from start to finish? If someone else does them for you, how much do you pay for them to do it?

Thanks for your patience and knowledge in helping me with the above questions.... I don't have a clue. [​IMG]

~Tammy

7. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    Too much. [​IMG]

I pay $18.00 for a 50lb bag of Purina Gamebird.

8. A.T. Hagan

A.T. Hagan Don't Panic

Aug 13, 2007
    North/Central Florida
    $17.50 for FRM 28% gamebird starter.

9. MissTurkey4

MissTurkey4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2011
    Quote:Why don't you keep track of all your expenses then divide your cost by the number of birds you have. I have a idea how much profit I want to make for each bird that I raise. Anyone one I raise a turkey for agrees to pay all expenses and profit. My birds that hatched in February are my Thankgiving turkeys that I butcher fresh the week of Thankgiving. They are heritage turkeys that need time to develop fat and flavor. If you butcher to soon they do not have the flavor that most people like in a heritage turkey. I like them even older than this. They only get better. I don't butcher turkeys for free either. I only do it for very good friends. It is to much work. They are very heavy to put is scallding water and wet compared to a chicken. Most of my turkeys are sold at auction. There is a processor right next door if people want there birds done.

10. cowdogcadillac

cowdogcadillac Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2009
    about 19 bucks for 50# of nutrena game bird. I started free ranging them to save money on food.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by