Price of White Mandarins?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Bleenie, Jan 20, 2010.

1. Bleenie

Bleenie Wyan-DO's

How much do these birds generally sell for? I really like them but know nothing about them yet.

2. Scott

Scott Ozark Bantams

Apr 11, 2007
    Southeast Missouri
    Quote:Pairs normally go for $100 to $150. If you find them cheaper than that, let me know. I am looking for a white mandarin drake myself.

3. 1lpoock

1lpoock Spruce Creek Waterfowl

Apr 20, 2009
    Sandusky, Ohio
    Quote:Pairs normally go for $100 to $150. If you find them cheaper than that, let me know. I am looking for a white mandarin drake myself.

If you already have a white female I would try to get a split/white drake. Breeding white to white or silver to silver (in wood ducks) can cause deformities and the offspring might have some problems. It is due to the color mutation. A safe way to get white birds is to breed a white hen to a split/white drake, therefore, for the offspring, you get 25% split/white males, 25%white males, 25% regular females, and 25% white females.

4. Scott

Scott Ozark Bantams

Apr 11, 2007
    Southeast Missouri

If you already have a white female I would try to get a split/white drake. Breeding white to white or silver to silver (in wood ducks) can cause deformities and the offspring might have some problems. It is due to the color mutation. A safe way to get white birds is to breed a white hen to a split/white drake, therefore, for the offspring, you get 25% split/white males, 25%white males, 25% regular females, and 25% white females.

I had not heard that before. Where did you read/learn that? Have a source? Actually, both of my mandarin drakes are split-to-white. So, if you are correct, I guess I should leave the current arrangement in place?

5. 1lpoock

1lpoock Spruce Creek Waterfowl

Apr 20, 2009
    Sandusky, Ohio
    Okay so what birds do you have two split/white drakes, a regular hen, and a white hen.
    A split/white male with a regular female will get you 25% normal male, 25% normal female, 25% split/white male, and 25% white female. There is no way to tell the males that come from this breeding apart so some will be split while some will be regular.
    The split/white to white breeding is described above....you can read more on mandarin and wood duck genetics here http://www.utm.edu/departments/cece/idea/aixgenetics.shtml

White
    and apricot are sex-linked traits and they work the same for both mandarins and wood ducks, however there is only white mandarins currently in the U.S.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by