Price per lb for different cut chicken parts

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by swtangel321, Jul 25, 2010.

1. swtangel321

swtangel321 ~Crazy Egg Lady~

Jul 11, 2008
    Hi,

Finally got done processing, cutting, wrapping and weighing !! Only took about 24 hours [​IMG]

Anyone have any idea on the price per lb for different parts ? I left some whole roasters which go for about $3.00 a lb around here so i guess i just need some help with what to charge for other parts... legs/thighs ? breast ? wings ? and cut up whole birds ?

What do others charge for this ?

Thanks for any help [​IMG]

2. swtangel321

swtangel321 ~Crazy Egg Lady~

Jul 11, 2008
    anyone ?? any ideas ? Please [​IMG]

3. TimG

TimG Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2008
    Maine
    Most processors charge a small premium like $0.50 or $1.00 to quarter a chicken, so if you are selling a whole bird cut up, I'd just boost the per pound price something like $0.10-$0.25 to effectively match the premium charged by processors.

You might go to the grocery store and check out their parts prices. If they're selling leg quarters for 1/3 the price per pound of boneless breasts, you could do the same; figure out your prices by roughly matching their ratios. I expect you'll end up adjusting your prices based upon demand, but that might be a good starting point.

4. Buster52

Buster52 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 28, 2009
    Geronimo Oklahoma
  5. Red Maple Farms

Red Maple Farms Wish Granted

Feb 25, 2010
    NE Wisconsin
    Quote:Guess I'll continue to buy chicken at WalMart. Those are some high prices!!

6. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    From the farmer's market last Saturday, I noticed that the breast meats were priced about four dollars a pound while the thighs and backs were like 1.50 a pound.

7. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

At the grocery store I pay

about $3.50 per lb for boneless/skinless fresh thigh
    about $4.50 per lb for b/s fresh breast

I'm in Seattle metro, and this is a large poultry farm, not organic or backyard birds.

Imp

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by