1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Prices for Chickens...

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by Whitehouse Quail, Oct 30, 2009.

1. Whitehouse Quail

Whitehouse Quail Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2009
    Michigan
    Okay, so I did some math, and it comes out that to break even, I have to make 5.45 per bird.

So, how much should I sell them for, while still hoping that people will buy them? This price includes packaging; they will be raised without antibiotics and in our backyard, a real selling point.

SO, how much should I ask?

2. Miltonchix

Miltonchix Taking a Break

Jul 14, 2007
    Milton, Florida
    I don't think its worth your time if you can't at least double your money.When I was in business if I couldn't mark it up 150% it wasn't worth putting on the shelf.

3. Whitehouse Quail

Jul 1, 2009
    Michigan
    If I sold them for $10.00 a bird, would people still buy?

4. Miltonchix

Miltonchix Taking a Break

Jul 14, 2007
    Milton, Florida
    I've seen postings where others sell them with no problem for $10. I think it really depends on where you are, how you raised/fed them. I would like to someday start selling mine. The only problem is I live in the sticks where most people around me probably can't afford cheap Tyson crap let alone my$10 birds.
    I'd like to know from those who sell their meat how the market it. What kind of permits are required, (I know this vary from place to place) do you carry special insurance and so on.

Whiteconfections I just noticed your tag line. FIRST CHAIR?? WAY TO GO!!!! French horn is far and above my favorite horn!! Wish I'd learned that instead of the .....don't tell anyone......... the tuba.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2009
  5. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    Quote:What breed? How old will they be? Will they be sexed or straight run? Are they vaccinated against Marek's?What sort of "packaging" are you referring to? Will they survive the trip? How are you going to ship? Is your backyard certified as organic? How did you arrive at 5.45 per bird?

I'm not being snarky, I am just pointing out things you will be asked.

6. Whitehouse Quail

Jul 1, 2009
    Michigan
    I'm sorry, I thought I made it clear; I'm selling processed Cornish Rock X's. I don't think the customer will care if it was a roo or a hen... in fact, they might not want to know. [​IMG]

7. Tad

Tad Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2008
    South TX on the border
    i presold mine at 12 dollars

8. WalkingWolf

WalkingWolf Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2009
    North Carolina
    I get $10 to $15 per bird from Hispanics, and that is not even for meat birds. I just sold 5 EE Roosters for $50. I had virtually nothing in these birds as they were packing peanuts and I free ranged them. I get $15 per black ranger rooster, $10 for the hens. Same pricing for RIR and BR but they are older at sale time than the black ranger.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2009
  9. PeepsInc

PeepsInc Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2009
    NY Tri State region
    The going rate here is about $4 a pound processed.

10. VA from WV

VA from WV Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 26, 2009
    Eastern Pandhandle WV
    Quote:I'm getting $3 a pound, no questions asked.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by