Pricing Chicks for Sale

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by donrae, Oct 14, 2015.

1. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Morning all....

I've had no problems pricing my pullets and hens when selling them. I ask $20-$25 for point of lay/young pullets, and drop that down as the hen ages. I don't always sell right away at those prices, but since I'm in no hurry I don't have problems getting rid of birds eventually. So that's my starting point.

Where I'm running into difficulty is pricing chicks, and want to see what you all are doing...

First I have my blue egg laying blue sex link pullets. I'm thinking $5 at day old, increasing by a dollar a week for brooding/feed/etc. That would make a 20 week pullet $25, which I believe my market would support.

Next I have silkies and silkie/cochin crosses. These guys have me stumped on pricing. The pen is a silkie rooster over a silkie hen and some bantam cochin hens, so chicks can be silkie or smooth. I have no way to sex these little guys, so they have to be sold straight run. I feel comfortable with the price on the sex links as I can guarantee pullets, but how about this group? If I grow them out and can sex them, I'm good with pricing. It's the straight run that leaves me puzzled.

Ideas/suggestions/input? Thanks so much!

2. Peep-Chicken

Peep-Chicken Overrun With Chickens

Jun 10, 2013
    Michigan
    My Coop
    Hm, I would sell them at $1.50 each. Maybe if someone buys five it could be $7?

That's what'd I do. :) They sound like cute crosses.

3. song of joy

song of joy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2012
    Central Pennsylvania
    I think $2.50 per straight run chick sounds reasonable.

4. donrae

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Thanks all.

Well, my sex link project is literally dead. Went to the coop and my splash Ameraucana rooster is dead. No signs of illness or injury, he looked fine yesterday. He was only 2, so I'm not sure what happened. I don't have another cockerel with the correct genetics to take his place, so I guess I'm going to be looking for one to buy, or hatching eggs. In the meantime, silkie mixes it is!

5. song of joy

song of joy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2012
    Central Pennsylvania
    I'm so sorry. How awful! It's so easy to get attached to the birds and our expectations of them. It makes the losses that much harder, but this is what dreams and perseverance are made of.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2015
  6. Peep-Chicken

Peep-Chicken Overrun With Chickens

Jun 10, 2013
    Michigan
    My Coop
    I am sorry about your rooster!

7. donrae

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Thanks. I actually wasn't at all attached to this rooster, he was more a means to an end for me. I don't know why I never had a connection to him, but it just didn't happen. Not like I'll be when Eric dies. So, this is more a speed bump in my breeding program than a mourning issue. I need to re-eval my goals and decide where I want to go from here.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by