Pricing for Muscovies?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Julie_A, Sep 16, 2009.

1. Julie_A

Julie_A Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2008
    Brewton, Ala.
    What's a fair price to ask for four-month-old muscovies? They are pied blue. These are our first and I have no idea what to advertise them for.

Thanks!!!!

2. MDC

MDC Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 17, 2008
    KS
    Someone once said they're worth what someone is willing to pay for them. Doesn't help much, but it's the absolute truth.

I sell day old pieds for $4 a bird. Locally I sell fully feathered juveniles and adult ducks for $4 and drakes for $5 to the meat buyer. He can get $8 and $10 a bird from the 'ethnic market'. I've heard in Denver, once upon a time, you could sell full grown drakes for $20-$25 to the ethnic market. I don't worry about selling to the ethnic market personally because the extra effort it involves. I catch my birds & deliver to his farm and get cash. He keeps the birds and has people coming out to his place at all hours and 7 days a week, stomping all over, haggling, etc. etc. So while his price is higher his costs are higher.

I can sell an adult anywhere from $12-$25 simply by shipping them. Of course, a pied I usually never ask more than $12 or $15 for. Some of my solid birds I'll ask more. If they were 'exhibition quality' that price could increase dramatically.

Anyway, all of that to say that if you have the right market, you can sell them for much higher than what someone else could the same bird.

If it were me, my birds, and my 'environment', I'd probably ask $6 or $8 ea. or $5 if someone took all that I needed to sell.

3. Julie_A

Julie_A Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2008
    Brewton, Ala.
    Thanks! I really appreciate the input!!! Someone down here is advertising juveniles for $20 each on craigslist. Seemed a little steep to me.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by