Pricing

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by SowdersHomestead, Nov 22, 2011.

1. SowdersHomestead

SowdersHomestead Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2011
    Fostoria, Ohio
    How much is everyone getting for a dressed CX and other DP birds?

2. feathersnuggles

feathersnuggles Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2009
    Seattle
    I don't sell 'em myself, but around here at farmers markets the non-CX are $5.99/lb dressed. That's for pastured, plus supplemented w/ wheat and heritage grains.

3. jessicayarno

jessicayarno Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 6, 2011
    Pacific Northwest
    I really jipped myself and am only charging $2/lb.. I am definitely going to have to raise my prices next time just to come out ahead.. Most that I see in our area are going for around $3-$5/lb..

4. Avalon1984

Avalon1984 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 22, 2010
    Muskegon
    I am doing 2.80/lb for dressed DP birds. That is about all my market can take. The birds are around 4bs when I butcher.

5. jessicayarno

Oct 6, 2011
    Pacific Northwest
    Quote:I was wondering how you find a market for them.. I want to try raising some DP birds and compare the costs with these slow growing broilers that I am going to be breeding.. Do you just list them on Craigslist?? How do you find people who are interested??

6. PotterWatch

PotterWatch My Patronus is a Chicken

Apr 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Ours are $4.60/lb for whole birds and $5.35/lb for a cut-up bird (CX). We started advertising by going to farmers markets, handing out cards and also contacting any local CSAs or buying clubs to let them know about us. We set up a local harvest account and a website, but haven't done any other advertising than that so far.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2011
  7. jessicayarno

Oct 6, 2011
    Pacific Northwest
    Thank you potterwatch... I needed to know where to get started.. Do you sale organic or all natural??

8. PotterWatch

PotterWatch My Patronus is a Chicken

Apr 22, 2008
    Virginia
    We sell ours as organically-grown (we are not certified organic but we follow organic practices), and pastured.

If you click on "website" under my screen name, you can check out what we say about our chicken. There are certain things that people are looking for in this area and we have tried to address them all.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2011
  9. feathersnuggles

feathersnuggles Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2009
    Seattle
    Jessicayarno, where are you in the PNW? If you are going to sell pastured DP for $3-5 and you are near Seattle, I'll purchase from you and I'm pretty sure I know others who would too.

10. Avalon1984

Avalon1984 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 22, 2010
    Muskegon
    Quote:I was wondering how you find a market for them.. I want to try raising some DP birds and compare the costs with these slow growing broilers that I am going to be breeding.. Do you just list them on Craigslist?? How do you find people who are interested??

Most of my customers are word of mouth and existing egg customers. When I see them pick up their eggs I just ask them if they are interested in some home grown chicken. They always see my set up, they see that the birds are happy, clean and healthy and thus they don’t have a problem getting one, or two , or three. I don’t have a huge market because there are lots of people out there raising CX and rightfully so you get a bigger bird and they may be able to sell for less. I just do it because I incubate like crazy and don’t mind raising a few roos to adults and then process them for meat. I always tell my customers that they are not as meaty as a CX would be but still very flavorful. No complaints so far. I did 2 this weekend and will eat one of them tomorrow. The other one weighed it at 4.5lbs which is a record for me [​IMG] I tried Craigslist but didn’t do much for me. May have been the time of the year or something.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by