Prince T. Woods' "Fresh-Air Poultry Houses"

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by OrangeCrushCJ7, Apr 22, 2009.

1. OrangeCrushCJ7

OrangeCrushCJ7 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 18, 2009
    Barre, MA
    In the search for info on coop designs and construction, I have hit a fork in the road. What are people's thoughts on this: http://www.nortoncreekpress.com/fresh-air-poultry-houses2.html

It
    seems to be at the opposite end of the coop design spectrum. The one commonality I come across is the fact that they produce a ton of moisture, and it needs to be vented away.

My plan is to convert a 3 sided shed I have into a coop for 6-8 cold hardy hens. It is 7' x 9', has a single pitched shed roof 6'-6" high at the high side, down to 5' on the low side. one of the 7' sides is wide open. has an earth floor, which i am going to put a wood framed floor in. I WAS going to close in the open side and frame in a human door at the same time, and add an old double hung window I have hanging around. There is going to be a chicken door on the low side out to a run. Inside I'll have a roosting bar, and 2 nest boxes. NOW I can't decide whether or not to fully enclose the open side, or leave it open with hardware cloth.

2. spook

spook Chillin' With My Peeps

Thank you for posting this, recently with the poultry club, we discussed placing birds in a 3 sided "shed" and the birds were healthier, better plumage and no frozen toes if you make sure they can cover their toes with their body on the roost.
    I allowed mine out all winter and I agree, they seemed happier and healthier. Most of the time they hung out inside where there was shavings, yet it was less stress on the birds of being cooped up.
    Good luck and keep us posted how this works for you!

3. CHICKENCHASERWV

CHICKENCHASERWV Out Of The Brooder

Jan 13, 2009
    I too use a open coop design and got the idea from the same website that you posted. It makes too much sense not to be true. I built my coop with the open side facing south a raised floor so they could get under the coop. They have been outside now for 3 weeks and are loving it. When it was warm the other day they all layed under the coop and during the cold and non stop rain they are outside. I have a 8 x 12 coop and a covered 25 x 50 covered run for what will be 39 chickens 3 ducks and two geese. I do not lock them up at night as I have no way of doing that. [​IMG]

4. CrazyBirdLady

CrazyBirdLady Out Of The Brooder

Apr 20, 2009
    Salem / Redgranite
  5. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Quote:No reason to have to choose. Make it open with hardwarecloth, WITH a panel that can be attached on over it if you encounter conditions that make you want to be able to close it up. Best of both worlds.

Open-sided sheds work best btw if relatively deep.

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by