1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Princess might be Prince? Help with gender.

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by featherfinder, Jul 10, 2011.

1. featherfinder

featherfinder Runner Lover

This is my oldest indian runner. I was told that it was a she but i noticed this morning that 2 feathers on the back are starting to curl up. I think that she/he might be starting to get their drake feather. Can anyone confirm for me please? [​IMG] These are my first ducks so not exactly sure what i should be looking for.

This is Princess/Prince
    [​IMG]

This is what i noticed this morning
    [​IMG]

And here is the close up
    [​IMG]

Really thought that she was a girl lol. She is also my favorite duck and my most friendlest. If she is a drake then she will make an excellent daddy next season!

2. Chiko

Chiko Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2010
    Orem, Utah.
    Could be a male. What sound does Princess make?

3. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    If Princess/Prince can make a loud noise (my runners don't quack so much as say, ah AH ah ah), she's a Princess.

If the noise is more of a whisper or mutter, it's Prince.

Beautiful bird, by the way.

4. featherfinder

Quote:Its kinda a cross. I have been watching for the voice change but it has never changed much. She quacks but it is kinda raspy. Can be very loud when she wants but its not actually a full quack. Its a slight quack and rasp. Been like that as long as she has been growning. Never really changed.

5. Amiga

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Raspy sounds like Prince.

6. featherfinder

Quote:Thank you [​IMG] I have 3 more runners in the brooder and cant wait to see how they feather. Might have 1 chocolate possible blue and SQ!!!!! (or so i was told, we will see)

As said before she can be loud but its not an actual quack. And can be like a whisper sometimes. Im not use to hearing what the difference should be. Thats why i am so confused.

7. Amiga

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    None of my runners has ever whispered, and they're all girls. They went from peep to honk to ah AH ah ah

8. featherfinder

Looks like we have Prince then. He went from peep to honk to kinda sounding like a really rough cough. Guess that could be the rasp i am not use to hearing.

9. Amiga

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Congratulations!

10. featherfinder

Quote:Thank you! now to hope and pray that my other 3 are females [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by