Principals of Good Breeding

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Redeemed, Mar 14, 2013.

1. Redeemed

Redeemed Chillin' With My Peeps

I saw a post from some one who wanted to know more about breeding and how to handle faults within his line of chickens. I hesitate to give this but I was a sheltie breeder for 0over 65 years and wanted to offer back some of the things I learned from
    1-Study
    2-Hard work
    3-Piratical Application
    4-Being mentored
    5-Taking good advice from Contestant Winners who were out to improve the breed and NOT to bring self glorification to themselves.

Under study I went to Sir Issac Asimov who's books were astounding . He studied the effect of Heat and protein on genes as an interracial part of gene manipulation. Which is what we as breeders and would be breeders are trying to do.

To start KNOW THE HAND WRITTEN STANDARD WRITTEN FOR YOU SUBJECT be it dogs, horses or birds.

If you are raising Chickens and are promoting a specific breed of Chicken find out What the people who came before you had in mind to create! This is a simple start to an increasingly difficult journey which You are about to under-take.
    Memorize the standard and go to breeders who have in mind as goals the things you want to accomplish at this stage.

2- That should be to accept the standard as written by the Breeds founding Fathers and fashion your work as a continuance of their work. This is the Learning Stage and should continue the rest of your time in this endeavor. If you lose sight of this goal and make it about gaining wins then you are simply adding to an over abundance of miss-knowledge and are only attempting to force your Ideals which cannot be founded in knowledge but only in speculation which dose not come from knowledge but supposition based only on a foundation of guesses.

3-Make John Gregor Mendel your second read of the day,the first The Bible to help you Govern your life in Righteousness . This little monk learned of God far more working with the humble little plants Peas and opened for us the foundation of genetic studies which was considered Magic and of the devil prior to His earth shaking discovers!

Learn how to manipulate Mendel's Chart and once you know what you are trying to achieve "a better Representative " of your breed and variety then Learn from Mendel What to improve and how to apply his methods .

This will continue ONLY if some one wishes to follow along and I am not blowing hot air on an already list.

2. 3riverschick

3riverschick Poultry Lit Chaser

May 19, 2009
    western PA
    My Coop
    Please: Sir Issac Asimov who's books were astounding . He studied the effect of Heat and protein on genes as an interracial part of gene manipulation.
    Can you expound on this in everyday terms? i have tried to study it but the math is so complicated, it gives me a headache. Thanks so much for sharing! Looking forward to more of your posts and subscribing to this thread.
    Best Success,
    Karen
    Bellwether Collies (retired 1995-2009)
    Waterford English Light Sussex
    in western PA, USA

Last edited: Mar 14, 2013
  3. Redeemed

Well it takes me back a ways ,to the late 50s and early 60 when I read him but the upshot of it was heat applied to food changes the molecular structure of protein intended to enhance the molecular structure of food prepared to nourish an intended trait. Lets say we are feeding dogs ,by the way I hold your collies in very esteem , whom we feel would benefit by the addition of B vitamins some types of fats such as fat from pigs and vitamin's A. When we cook these fats and add the vitamins to the heated fats these are irrevocably changed and are not as effective as as we would have hoped. They still do give benefit but not to effect the maximum benefit we would have hoped for.
    I have always preferred the True English type of both Collie and sheltie. In my latter years I booted the American stuff because the American dogs were only 1 % of their true Identity as shelties and 99% The American collie by Genetic definition according to the Genetics Regulating and testing these things for the A.K.C.

I hope this helps .

4. Redeemed

.My over all design here is to acquaint people with the basics of Genetic manipulation so that they can improve their stock and push forward with a breeding program so that genetics will not be Such a mysterious boon dongle for many people. A few basic principals will give to the Genetic artist a wide spectrum of colors with which to pain this living portrait .

5. 3riverschick

May 19, 2009
    western PA
    My Coop
    So you are saying for best nutritonal benefit, w should not heat parts of the food? We should combine foods at room temp or colder for best nutrtional effect? Is there a heat threshold beyond which we cannot pass if we want to get best nutritional benefit for our anaimals? For instance I feed the dogs kibble and yogrt. That's a cold dinner So I add pumpkin. But i heatit first in the micro. That wamrs the meal, but have I just destroyed the nutritional benefit from the yogurt by killing the best parts of it with heat? We do this with our poultry too, when we make warm mashes. Should we make sure none of the ingredients are too warm when we combine them so we don't kill nutrients in the mix? What degree is "too warm"?
    Thanks for explaining.
    BTW, I think Reaching For the Stars , "7 stages of a breeder" could easily be applied to poultry people.
    Best,
    Karen

6. Redeemed

I am saying this is my belief from my earliest studies yes but there is always some one who disagrees or finds fault with any theory. However this is Not the direction I will go . If you want further details on this I believe Sir Issac's books are still printed and available. Kyle Onsotto is another Author might want to read along these lines. I know too little about Chickens which is the main thrust of this forum. There are basically three types of breeding Programs . The first is Inbreeding , the second is Line breeding and the third is out crossing. My particular preference I s a combination of all three when each is is best suited to the situation.

7. 3riverschick

May 19, 2009
    western PA
    My Coop
    Thanks so much for sharing and esp. for the references.
    Best Regards,
    Karen

8. Redeemed

To start an effective breeding program you need to set up for and prepare for the future . Each individual in your foundation stock should equal the greatest part of Good qualities and the sum total of your choices should equal the perfect depiction of the standard . That is the total flock should have the total qualities to make up the total complete Perfection of the standard.

You want this basic picture in all of your foundation stock . Some parts of your flock should carry several good like things about them and some parts of your flock will complimentary traits .These lines if you will will be labeled Primary lines a then b Many of the good traits should overlap in lines but the total over all picture should be near perfection. Out cross lines should be introduced to add more to the list but should be kept in smaller quantities and resultant offspring should be kept which possess the qualities of the out cross lines and the qualities of the primary lines.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by