Printing 'chicken'

kareninthesun

Songster
8 Years
Jul 1, 2011
In my home office, I keep a chicken puppet on a shelf above my printer. When my German Shepherd was a puppy, she loved to hang out close to my feet as I'd work. She'd snag my slipper if I'd slip out of it and run off.

One morning when she grabbed it and ran off. I had just hit print for my brand new top feeding printer, pulled back from my chair and chased her down. All of a sudden there was a loud, metallic chugging/grinding loud noise coming from the office. Stopped us both in our tracks. Ran back to see that the chicken puppet had toppled from the shelf. All I could see were two bright yellow legs and feet upside down, flaying.

I immediatly unplugged the printer, and contemplated the situation. How the heck did that much of a stuffed puppet get rolled down into the printer? Gingerly, I tried options to free it, taking off the top, crossing my fingers and pondering the back side of the unit. All in avoiding the two options: trashing the printer, or calling the 800 hotline. Bit the bullet and opted out for the second choice.

Nearly all 800 help hotlines regarding electronics are answered as English not being the first language choice. This was no exception.

Me: Hi, I'm having a problem with my new computer.

They: (broken English) I can help you.

Me: (already mentally trying to avoid explaining full details) I have something other than paper stuck in the feed.

T: I can most certainly help. Can you reach the paper?

M: It isn't paper. It is a toy.

T: (pause) What kind?

M: A stuffed chicken.

T: Hold please.

T: A chicken?

M: yes.

T: Small?

M: No, average sized.

T: It fit?

M: yes, everything but the legs and feet.

T: Cooked?

M: No, toy.

T: Small?

M: no, stuffed, but the cavety was empty.

T: Hold please....

A llllllooooooong pause. Answered by a woman's voice.
T: Hi, my name is ...... and I will be assisting you. The gentleman whom you were speaking with went on break.

M: Ok.

T: He shared of this problem, but feel that we have missed something in translating. Is it ok if I put our conversation on speakerphone?

M:(as if I'm not embarassed enough)...That's fine.

I slowly explain, with her mirroring back my words, then translating them to others listening in the background, trying to assist. FINALLY, there is a short pause, and I can hear the room erupt in laughter. They get it. And she is able to walk me through steps to open up and get the chicken out, no harm done to the printer, and other than a few blotches of color, none to the puppet. She then asked permission to use our conversation for training purposes.

Gave her the thumbs up on that.

Which them prompted me to draw out this sketch of the chicken whom tried to duplicate its self.

lol.png

the conversation actually ran longer. This is one of my favorite stories I share when I'm giving talks on communication values and providing the right details.

Back
Top Bottom