PRISZILLA'S A GRAMMIE!!! update 7-12

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by NewChickenMom, Jul 10, 2008.

1. NewChickenMom

NewChickenMom Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2008
    Omaha, NE
    well, its early on day 18 and i have moved the 3 remaining serama eggs to the hatcher. i've never had or hatched seramas before so i hope everything goes ok. i'm excited to see the tiny little chicks!! the were moving around in the eggs last night so lets hope they have enough energy to make it out!! [​IMG] HATCH CHICKIES HATCH!!! [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 12, 2008
  2. priszilla

priszilla Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2008
    easley sc
    come on babies-- I wanna see grandchicks![​IMG]

3. NewChickenMom

May 16, 2008
    Omaha, NE
    [​IMG] someone smack me, i'm so impatient!!! its only day 19, but i have NO pips!! i guess i got spoiled with the silkies who pipped on day 18. cmon seramas, lets hatch!!

4. priszilla

Jan 12, 2008
    easley sc
    really? my silkies usually keep me waiting till day 21 [​IMG] Luann often helps her seramas on day 20- by opening a small hole on the air sac end on day 20, She gets more to hatch than anyone I have heard of. PM her 0r email her for details (luann keller)

5. klf73

klf73 Mad Scientist

Jun 1, 2008
    Maine
    If you don't mind me asking, why do seramas have bad hatch rates [​IMG]

Krista

6. priszilla

Jan 12, 2008
    easley sc
    small eggs have a tougher time with travel. new breed-(some have called it a land race not a "real breed yet") the first ones imported uspposedly had an undiagnosed case of bronchitis that led to fertility issues- less than 200 initially were imported I believe-like 125 hens and 2or 50 roos- so maybe it is a limited gene pool? I am guessing completely. ALso the TYPE- short back, high tail less room for the reproductive organs to do their thing. But they are cute little buggers! especially the little chicks

7. NewChickenMom

May 16, 2008
    Omaha, NE
    you a grammie priszilla!! i had to help them all out, but i'm glad i did otherwise they would have died. they are still chilling in their shells and absorbing their yolks, but soon they will be out!! i love them already. they need to get their booties in gear, because i need the hatcher again on the 14th!! [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by