1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Privacy

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Legend, Jan 2, 2013.

1. Legend

Legend Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2012
    Wiltshire England
    Hi I am really excited today because I believe one of my two hens is about to lay. She is hunting around but every time she goes in the house the other hen follows closely behind followed by the rooster. They have always been close. Will this put her off? How long can she hold onto her egg? Should I try to separate them? any advice appreciated ;) I am a novice. Thanks. ps she has been doing a submissive posture everytime I stroke her for at least a week.

2. stevetone

stevetone Chicken Advocate

When it is time she will get it done.

In my experience, some roos are very involved in the laying process. I've seen them seek out the "best" spot to lay for their hens, and even warm it up for them by sitting in it for a while. It s very cute.

3. Legend

Legend Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2012
    Wiltshire England
    thanks stevetone. she is still going in and out of the chickens house. Yesterday she scratched two massive holes in the grit. Still no eggs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by