Private Mountain Acreage, 1.77 Usable Acres (SOLD)/ Fannin County, GA

Discussion in 'Everything Else' started by speckledhen, Jan 18, 2015.

1. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

I realize this is not the usual classified, but if interested in coming to see the land, just PM me or ask any questions here in the thread.

Nice, squarish shaped, private 1.77 acre wooded building lot for sale in shadow of Watson Mtn in Mineral Bluff, GA. Sloped and rolling, but not steep, was logged 2 yrs ago so some clearing has already been done, but there remain oaks, maples and other trees, mainly around perimeter. Electric lines run around property lines so easy hook up and you'd have to do your well and septic, of course.

The only real covenants are very basic- no pigs and no mobile homes, but there is no HOA to get in your business here. This property is less than 2 miles from the Hwy 60 Spur that heads into Murphy, NC, good location for access to both NC and TN as well as Blue Ridge, GA. We've lived here at the top of this small mountain for over 12 years, bought the two extra adjoining lots just after we bought the house in the original land, but now have decided to sell the larger, best one.

Has at least two good places to put a driveway coming from the road up onto the land. When we had trees removed two years ago, most of the survey markers were lost other than on each end where the two extra lots divide from each other so we need to be there to explain to you where your lot line will be on that side. A gravel road surrounds the rest of the property and you will have no neighbors directly next to you on any side. You will see from the photos in the slideshow what I'm talking about.

If interested, PM for directions and a time for us to walk it with you-it is part of our own land, a separate lot we own adjacent to another smaller lot that adjoins our main property.

We will not just give out the address and directions unless we know you are coming and can walk it with you, though once we have met you and shown you the lot lines, we'll be happy to leave you alone to walk around it by yourselves.

Asking $10K total, that comes to only $5649/ac for usable land!
    We cannot owner finance, sorry.

In the plat map photo, you are looking at lot 8, the big one. We own all four of the shaded lots. The 1.38 ac lot is the one between the one we live on and the one for sale. Some of the "between" lot is about to be brushed, stumped, leveled out and probably seeded and we will be fencing that to bring it into our perimeter fence.​

Last edited: Jan 18, 2015
  2. rancher hicks

rancher hicks Chicken Obsessed

Feb 28, 2009
    Syracuse, NY
    If I could I would, but I'm much too old, that and the no pigs clause. Pigs are good for clearing land, so I've read. Though we are considering a move south. My arthritis is horrible this time of year. DW gets mad cuz I don't want to go out. Church was freezing on Friday. Even the pastor mentioned how cold it was.

Anyhow I was thinking of this very thing the other day. About buying land and not knowing about things such as "Mineral rights".. and "Usage rights".

I'd read about it years ago. Folks who bought land but didn't know that the "Mineral Rights" had been sold until the gas company came and wanted to drill. Or that the neighbor had rights to fish in the pond on the property. Or in one case could sit at the end of the drive to watch the chickens. Oh yeah that was an weird one.

Point being lots of folks here looking to buy land. Know who owns the "rights" to such things. Don't count on the realtor to know these things cuz many don't. In many states this falls under "buyer beware" and you'll lose in court.

I wish you well, Speckledhen and hope you gets some amiable neighbors.

3. speckledhen

The "no pigs" was not my doing, trust me, but was a covenant in place when the old farm was divided up and some guy from Florida wrote the rules. What's funny is that lots #1 & 2 are excepted from those covenants--they were owned by his son, who lived in a mobile home and raised pigs, LOL. They are really sort of separate from the rest of the folks, though, and I don't think he's lived here for awhile, certainly hasn't had any pigs. There is a short covenant list I can scan if I can locate it in my files, but those two points, the mobile homes and the pigs, are the only ones that would impact most people. It's not that kind of subdivision. Nobody checks on anything and truly, they don't care. It's very, very rural. Almost everyone has chickens, there are cows and horses and mules and goats all over the place around me.

Yes, most mineral rights stay with the properties here in GA, certainly this one. Not so in TN, where the German Gernt family owned most of them and didn't let them go with the properties. It's public record, but you have to know it's something to look for, and if it's not the norm in your state, you can be caught unawares.

This place is really for folks who want to quietly live on rural mountain property but not be super far from everything. The Murphy, NC Walmart is 16 miles away and there is a brand new little one in Blue Ridge, which, for its size, is surprisingly great, about 13 miles from me. And a Dollar General is in "downtown" Mineral Bluff, if you can even call it a town, about 7 miles from me. It's a nice, cozy place to land.

4. rancher hicks

Feb 28, 2009
    Syracuse, NY
    We were not aware that septic inspection is a must or we would have found out ours is not big enough for the house. We have trouble every year. [​IMG] The drainage here is so bad and I don't think the leach lines are as deep as necessary. Many folks do the work themselves and I don't know if a code inspection is done for such things.

There are many things forgotten or not known in the excitement of buying a new house.

We are fighting Fracking here of course. Some folks either don't know nor care what damage is done. Our Onondaga Lake is NOTED as the most polluted lake in the country. Sacrificed for Allied Chemical jobs long since gone. Now the expensive work is being done but it will NEVER be restored.

Which begs the point when buying acreage here. Who owns the mineral/water rights?

What's in the soil, is in the water, is in the air. IMO it's not what we use, but how much we use. Houses, Commercial buildings and Autos, bigger than what is needed.

Peace,

5. speckledhen

Most property is bought "fee simple" which means you own up to space and to the center of the earth within your boundaries, all rights are yours. Naturally, a noted exception is that aircraft can fly through your air space w/o your permission. But, mineral, oil and gas rights can be separated from the land and not sold with it. Those rights are limited in places by bodies of water like lakes and streams. Say, someone may own the mineral rights on your land, but they can't just drill anywhere if there is a pond; there would be a setback so underground water isn't disturbed, etc. You rarely hear of anything like separation of mineral rights in Georgia. Tennessee is one where you'd better ask if all rights come with the land. And many places out west are like Tennessee.

I have a well here. My water is fabulous. Being at the top of the property, my well is about 400 ft deep. The property I'm trying to sell is quite a bit lower in elevation than my house, so could be their well would be much less deep. But the water quality is awesome. I have a sediment filter, but nothing else on my system. It's crystal clear, great tasting water. Really, water and septic shouldn't be that much of an issue. My septic system here has never given me problems and it's over 20 years old now. But, with all land, you'd do a perk test for that.

ETA: As of this afternoon, unexpectedly, we may have struck a deal. Will close ad if it comes to fruition tomorrow.

6. speckledhen

UNDER CONTRACT!

7. rancher hicks

Feb 28, 2009
    Syracuse, NY
    Well I'm not surprised.

8. speckledhen

Well, I was, but this was a productive weekend for us in many ways, praise God.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by