Privett Hatchery and possible solmonella in my new chicks

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by MCSD5928, Aug 21, 2013.

1. MCSD5928

MCSD5928 Just Hatched

May 31, 2013
    I ordered 30 chicks of various breeds from Welp Hatchery three weeks ago. Privett Hatchery is a drop shipper for them and my packing label indicated my chicks came from there. Many of you may have seen in the news that a recent salmonella outbreak has been traced to Privett.

The chicks all appear healthy. None of them died during shipping or since. I don't know if these chicks are contaminated or not. They're still in a broader in my garage. I'm looking for some advice. Do I introduce them to my existing flock when the time comes? Can I somehow test them? If they are infected, is there a treatment? Do I get rid of them and start over? What do I do?

Thank you for any help!

2. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

I would call your state veterinarian or county extension agent and ask them.

3. MCSD5928

MCSD5928 Just Hatched

May 31, 2013
    I spoke with someone at the extension office and they said it was nothing to really worry about. Thank you!

4. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

Oh good! I have ordered from Welp before a couple of times, and been pleased.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by